Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony ereader to ipad

Is there a good app to convert Sony eReader books so I can import them to iPad? When I sync, I can see my eReader books, but they are grayed out.

Ipad, Dell XPS-M1330, Windows Vista

Posted on Jul 5, 2010 2:32 PM

23 replies

Jul 5, 2010 3:17 PM in response to nick101

nick101 wrote:
You can't get the Sony books that have DRM. Non-DRM books in epub format come across fine.

It's the curse of DRM - you paid for the book and you can only read it on one kind of device.

It's not Sony's fault - they use the common Adobe DRM that most other e-readers (except the Kindle) use. Apple simply chose not to allow anything other than their own Fairplay DRM for ebooks - meaning ebooks you can read on virtually any other device are useless on the iPad (and vice versa).

Amazon did a similar thing - only books bought from Amazon will work on a Kindle, although thanks to the Kindle app, you can read Kindle books on an iPad. Just not books bought from any other bookstore.

Aug 19, 2010 5:21 AM in response to nick101

For those in the UK, there's a great iPad/iPhone app called TXTR which allows ePub files protected with Adobe DRM to be read on those devices - no hacking, DRM stripping or other copyright violations needed.

And to correct you on another point, other than Kindle and iBooks, all eBooks sold int he UK tend to be ePub files protected with Adobe DRM and can be read on a wide range of readers.

Message was edited by: Martin_UK

Apr 20, 2011 5:13 PM in response to baforer

I agree. "Bluefire Reader" works great with the ebooks from the Sony Reader library. You simply add the .ePub files into the File Sharing section for the Bluefire Reader app in iTunes and sync. Then when you launch the app, you need to enter your Adobe ID and password and you can enjoy the books. I have transferred all of my Sony Reader books over and have had no problems with.

Sep 29, 2011 11:34 PM in response to Kittypauz

I have the answer. Sadly Sony and Apple are fighting over money and rights. We will let them work it out. In the mean time I had 180 books on my Sony Reader that I paid hard earned money for. So Apple, please get on with the negotiations.

The Solution:

1.) Down load the TXTR program onto your home computer where you have all of your Sony books. Upload th

e ones you want to read.

2.) Download the TXTR App onto your iphone and ipad. The books will all be there.

Yeah...... it works and your money is not wasted.

I still want Sony and Apple to work out a deal. I can read Kobo and Kindle books on them. Sadly in Canada the Nook does not work yet. Barns and Noble, get it together.

The Answer, TXTR onto your computer where your Sony epub books are and TXTR app on your iphone and ipad.\\

Just like magic.

Sep 30, 2011 8:36 AM in response to Carol lyne

The books are on a Sony reader and you are complaining to Apple that you can not read it on their hardware?

Do you ask your DVD maker to provide a means to play Blu-Ray on a DVD player because you spent money on it?

I put some petrol in my Ford and now when I go to drive my Chevvy it is out of fuel. I paid hard-earned money for that fuel. Come on, Ford, stop the posturing and get on with the negotiations to provide a car that automatically transfers fuel to my other car when I want to use it.

?

Sony ereader to ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.