Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export for projection on large screen

Hi and thanks in advance for any advice.

I need to export my 24p HD project for projection to a large screen. Shot on multiple formats, but all converted to ProRes. Not sure of the best way to do this for best quality. Making a DVD is easiest, but quality really suffers.

Should I just export with current settings and play QT file directly from a laptop? Or would it be better to export uncompressed? What do I physically need to provide for all this to work smoothly. The AV people want to keep the whole evening's presentations, including Power Point, on one computer.

Thanks!

Mac Pro quad core-3GB Ram, Mac OS X (10.6.2), FCP 7

Posted on Jul 6, 2010 1:13 PM

19 replies

Jul 6, 2010 4:18 PM in response to rjmontana

You build your sequence to match the target output. To over-resolve your projector is a waste of energy and resources. However, you might someday have access to a 1080 projection system so it's a gamble at the editing stage.

There are two questions you must answer and then test:
1. How will you play back the video?
2. How will you feed the playback to the projector?
2a. How will you feed audio to the house system?

Your Mac may or may not have the proper outputs. If you burn a DVD, you're going down to MPEG2. If you want to burn an HD disk, you need to start researching that option quickly.

bogiesan

Jul 6, 2010 6:53 PM in response to rjmontana

Good lord, you have a huge problem now.
Theyprobably do not have Quicktime on the Dell. You must find out quickly and you then you need to have time to compress an H.264 file. It will be beautiful but you still have to make certain they know what they're doing and that you can load the file to their hard drive. It's often difficult to play big media files form optical drives.
They will want a Windows Media Player file, .wmp or .avi.

Unfortunately, there are way too many ways to provide them with a file. Are there other folks giving them files? Talk to them. They will know more than the "staff."

bogiesan

Jul 6, 2010 9:37 PM in response to rjmontana

They could do either. I usually suggest iTunes because more people know it, they know it's free, and it has a few extra features they end up liking. If they're playing all the videos for the event from the same computer, they can make an iTunes playlist of all the videos.

I use the AppleTV preset in Compressor to project via iTunes via a 10,000 lumen Sony SXRD 4K projector on a 24’ x 12.5’ screen and it ... is ... glorious.

You can export self contained, or just export via Compressor.

Jul 6, 2010 9:47 PM in response to thrillcat editorial

Thanks. This looks promising. So if you could just provide your workflow I would be grateful. Do you use the H.264 1280x720 for apple TV preset in Compressor? That's the only Apple TV preset I could find.

Also, I've never used itunes to play video. Could you also explain that process. And you say the quality is glorious. I like that.

Anything else I should be aware of? Thanks very much!

Jul 7, 2010 12:56 PM in response to thrillcat editorial

The Apple preset works beautifully on my MacPro, but completely chokes on my G4 laptop and I'm guessing it will on the Dell too. Going to take it there today to experiment. Any suggestions on how to make the Apple Preset work better for the G4 or Dell, by changing some of the parameters? Hoping to find an answer soon. The clock is ticking.....Thanks!

Jul 7, 2010 1:22 PM in response to thrillcat editorial

thrillcat editorial wrote:
TIf they're playing all the videos for the event from the same computer, they can make an iTunes playlist of all the videos.

Yar, but the resistance will take the form of something like this: "I can make a playlist in WMP. Just gimme an AVI or WMP file."

You can spend $50 and get the export-enabled Flip4Mac.

bogiesan

Export for projection on large screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.