Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random "PUFF" sound since Snow Leopard

Since Snow Leopard installation, random "puff' sound identical to sound when you raise icon from dock and it disappears on desktop in puff of smoke. This occurs randomly whether I am using the computer or away from it. Sometimes it occurs once a day or ten times a day or not at all for a few days. Note: no visual effects occur and nothing is changed on dock, just the sound is heard.

IMAC, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 6, 2010 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2010 1:29 PM

Are you using iChat? It uses a sound like you describe to alert you that a buddy is no longer available.
3 replies

Jul 6, 2010 3:31 PM in response to thomas_r.

Thanks for your input. The sound has just occurred while I was reading your text and when I checked there were no buddies online so hard to say if this was the case. I will however pay specific attention to who is online in the future and will monitor this daily. Hopefully this is the issue. Curious that this never occurred prior to Snow Leopard. Thanks again for the input

Jul 6, 2010 3:54 PM in response to 3gone

I have just run through the iChat sounds and the "puff" sound that I have been hearing is indeed one of the optional sounds available. I have changed the sound selection and I am certain that the next "buddy away" sound will be the new option I have selected. Thank you very much for your help. I am certain the problem is solved.

Random "PUFF" sound since Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.