Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Antivirus??

New to Mac and just purchased a MBP. Was told I don't need to purchase any type of antivirus and I am afraid to go without! Was looking into Norton for Mac! What's the difference between dual protection and Norton 10.1?? Do I need to worry about adware and/or spyware? What other recommendations for virus protection can you suggest?

Tiffany

iPhone 3GS, iPad 64gb -3G, HP Pavilion Dv6338se, HP Desktop, Windows Vista

Posted on Jul 6, 2010 2:33 PM

4 replies

Jul 6, 2010 3:58 PM in response to TiffanyNicole

Hi Tiffany,

As someone who supports thousands of Macs in a "mixed" environment (PC & Mac) I will say that there is some advantage to an anti-virus solution. If anything it can help the flow of PC viruses across a campus/corporate environment. I know we use Sophos here and the Mac client does a pretty good job of sniffing out emails or other files that are infected (files created on a PC).

Would I consider this a compelling reason for a home user? No. But I will say that Sophos has been pretty good to us, it's pretty light weight and it's definitely a better 'premium' alternative to Norton.

Antivirus??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.