Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Get an Automator Action to Run When a Cirtain e-Mail is Recieved?

I am a heavy user of 'iTeleport', an app for the iPhone that lets you control your computer screen remotely. The problem is that its server on my iMac always disconnects every time my mac goes to sleep and, sometimes, just at random occasions. Resulting in me not being able to screen share...

My question is, is there a way to get Automator to open the server application on my mac when it recieves an email that has something like 'turn on server' in the header? That way, I could send an email to my computer to start the server remotely.

Thanks

27" iMac + iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 3 GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD

Posted on Jul 7, 2010 1:49 AM

3 replies

Sep 5, 2010 9:36 PM in response to Hazza42

I think I can work this one out. Let's see if I understand correctly. You need to relaunch iTeleport based upon an e-mail correct? I would have to look up the specific steps in iTeleport once you get it open but opening the application should be easy.

Mail rules are capable of running Applescripts to perform tasks when mail which meets a certain criteria is received. Al;though it doesn't explicitly say it the Run Applescript function in Mail should also run Automator workflows that have been saved as applications. I'll see what I can cook up.

Sep 6, 2010 1:37 AM in response to Slydude

No need to get involved with Automator. All you need is an Applescript which says something like:

tell application "Finder"
open file "Application name" of folder "Applications" of startup disk
end tell

The script may have to be saved as a script rather than an application to be run using a Rule: this is something which you would need to test.

Get an Automator Action to Run When a Cirtain e-Mail is Recieved?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.