7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2010 7:30 PM by jenius_s
zeroio Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I've got an Airport Extreme Gigabit N router and when I look at the Wireless Clients page on the AirPort utility, it shows that the iPhone 4 is connected at 39 Mbps and the iPhone 3GS is connected at 54 Mbps. My other devices... MacBook Pro, MacBook and two AppleTVs say 130 Mbps.

Under type it shows iPhone 4 as 802.11b/g/n and iPhone 3GS as 802.11b/g.

Can anyone confirm better than 39 Mbps for iPhone 4? Is this to be expected?
  • OrangeMarlin Level 5 Level 5 (5,140 points)
    zeroio wrote:
    I've got an Airport Extreme Gigabit N router and when I look at the Wireless Clients page on the AirPort utility, it shows that the iPhone 4 is connected at 39 Mbps and the iPhone 3GS is connected at 54 Mbps. My other devices... MacBook Pro, MacBook and two AppleTVs say 130 Mbps.

Under type it shows iPhone 4 as 802.11b/g/n and iPhone 3GS as 802.11b/g.

Can anyone confirm better than 39 Mbps for iPhone 4? Is this to be expected?

Depending on how you set up your AirPort Extreme, your iPhone 4 may not be connecting at N speeds. Furthermore, there are dozens of reasons why your network might run into a bottle neck with your iPhone 4.

I have a similar configuration, and both my iPad 3G and iPhone 4 are running at 54 Mbps. My MBP is running at 103 Mbps (but it's a bit far away from the router). My AppleTV runs through an ethernet, so no speed issues there. My old iPhone 3GS (old...LOL) ran at 54 also.
  • zeroio Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Thanks... I've done some more testing and saw it peak at 72 on another AirPort.
  • Phil Crosno Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)
    On my Airport Express I show the same rates you describe. Nothing I do changes the 39 on the iPhone 4. The iPhone 3gs, its rate is 54 and my Apple TV is 130 along with my MacBook.

On the Airport Express, I have 802.11n(802.11b/g compatible).
  • zeroio Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Thanks for reporting this. I did another test and yes, I get 39 on an Airport Express but on an Airport Extreme I get up to 72. The 'true' 802.11n devices (AppleTV, MacBook) do get 130 on the Airport Express.

Has anyone seen more than 39 on an Airport Express?
  • Phil Crosno Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)
    I'm Sorry, I have an Airport Extreme not an Express!!

I also found if I select 802.11 g only, then the iphone 4 rate is 54.

You can select this option on the Airport Extreme by holding down the option key then select the Radio Mode.
  • jenius_s Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Mine is stuck at 39Mbps too if I select Wireless-n

See screenshot:
    http://bit.ly/bhJ9SW
  • jenius_s Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    I tested it again after upgrading to Airport Extreme Firmware 7.5.2 (just released), it now show 65MBps =)

Speedtest app shows 27Mbps download speed too, so I guess this problem have been fixed now. I can't tell whether the Airport firmware fixed it, or the numerous preceding iOS upgrades