Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

locationd - Unable to turnoff in Security System Preferences

I've got this locationd daemon connecting to apple to two different addresses : mac-services.apple.com and iphone-wu.apple.com (the second of which is odd since I don't have an iphone. Firewall reports these connections.

Doing searches on the net comes up with an apple forum thread which is now archived : http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2258059

In that thread, some guy jumps to apple defense pointing out that this was covered (more like buried) in the license agreement for Snow Leopard : http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx106.pdf

That document says under 4. Consent to Use of Data "... by disabling the Location Services setting in the Apple Software. The Location Services setting is found in
Security preferences within System Preferences."

However, the Security Preferences has absolutely nothing, zilch, for disabling this.

MacPro 2.66 2GB, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Jul 8, 2010 3:58 AM

9 replies

Jul 8, 2010 5:31 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

No, I'd been running Leopard for some time, and upgraded to SL this past weekend. I son't spend a lot of time in forums, so I hadn't updated my profile. It's updated now.

But though "About This Mac" tells me I'm running 10.6.4, that preferences pane does not show those last two checkboxes, even if I unlock for further changes.

Jul 8, 2010 7:25 AM in response to D-L

You can go to Photobucket and upload it then use the html code to post, but you really don't need to do that, I believe you.

You may be able to repair this with The 10.6.4 Combo Update This is a fuller install, as opposed to an incremental "delta" update so it should overwrite any files that are damaged or missing. It does not matter if you have applied it before.
Remember to Verify Disk before update and repair permissions after update from /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.

User uploaded file
-mj

locationd - Unable to turnoff in Security System Preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.