Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime "Waiting for Activation Issue" When switching SIM cards

I have an unlocked iPhone 4 from the UK. I first had an Orange France SIM card installed and all went well... Facetime was working fine. However, when I came to Dubai I inserted my local (Etisalat) SIM. The phone was functioning ok, except for Facetime. When I tried to switch it on from Settings, it kept saying "Waiting for Activation".

I am an advanced user. So, all basic things are checked: WiFi, Tried to reboot phone, tried hard reset, even tried Total restore, tried different WiFi network, SMS working, MMS working, 3G working...etc. I even tried the solution on Apple's site ( http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4246).... Still no luck.

Few things to note:

1) I have a friend who has iPhone 4 on the same Etisalat network, and his Facetime works fine. The only difference is that Etisalat was the first SIM he put in.
2) I tried to switch back to my Orange SIM while still in Dubai, and at first, Facetime showed "Waiting for Activation", BUT when I rebooted, it was active and working fine... tried to insert the Etisalat SIM after that... and back to "waiting for activation" issue.
3) Did same above with my AT&T SIM ... and got same result as with Orange France SIM
4) Tried to call 888-facetime and they just referred me to the case referenced above, and the simple answer that "your carrier may not support it"! Thanks!!! I told the guy I know someone on the same network working on Facetime.

I think the problem is that Facetime needs to be re-registered from the Orange # to the Etisalat # and for some reason that is not happening smoothly to the Etisalat #... However, how can I get that done... I cannot even find an email address to send to apple regarding this problem...

If any of the Apple Tech staff reading this please respond!!! THANKS.

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Jul 8, 2010 2:11 PM

24 replies

Jul 9, 2010 9:41 AM in response to WalidDubai

Hello,

It seems like we have pretty much the same issue, I just got my iPhone 4 that I've preordered on Apple Store, I just inserted my Moroccan SIM card ( Maroc Telecom ) and activated the phone, but when I go through Settings > Phone > FaceTime is turned to On but I have the message "Waiting for activation" shown.

I've tried to call Apple France, but they couldn't help me, saying that's something wrong with my messaging stuff... but it's all working for me.

Anyone can please help me here!

Jul 10, 2010 9:06 PM in response to WalidDubai

Dear Friends this is what happened to me, I ordered 2 iphone from the uk one for me and the other for my father. I put in the #1 Micro SIM in my iphone and FACE TIME is working 100%, BUT my father put in the #2 Micro SIM instead of #1 By accident now he has the same issue as you, Like Walid Im an advanced user and tried everything that he had but no luck,

We Need Help

Jul 10, 2010 11:31 PM in response to Taymoor

same thing happened to me. ordered mine from UK apple store. went to etisalat to get dual sim cards for my ipad as well. put the main sim into my new iphone 4 and under settings > phone it wasn't recognizing my number. it came up as "unknown". i tried to enter it manually, but my facetime is still reading "waiting for activation". i think it has something to do with the sim card not registering my phone number in the phone.

if anyone gets any clarity on this please share. i don't want to have to spend another 100 dirhams on new sim cards.

Jul 29, 2010 4:13 AM in response to Sherbadam

Can some users Confirm that with an Etislalat micro sim they have been able to get Facetime to activate.

Was the sim in the working phone an official micro sim, or was it a cut down normal sim.

Was the sim used part of a 2 sim deal, ie one sim card data and voice the other data only.

Was the working phone poat paid contract or pay as you go wassel.

Thanks

Aug 10, 2010 5:51 AM in response to Epito

hola epito, lei tu comentario sobre facetime, yo adquiri uno la semana pasada y todavia nada, he probado con la configuracion del router, los mensajes al reino unido, ect, ect.
tu has logrado activar la app?
cualquier cosa me avisas mi correo es franpatti@gmail.com
gracias, estaremos en contacto

Aug 21, 2010 3:37 AM in response to WalidDubai

Dont ask me why, but both mine and my wife's Iphone's now have Facetime working with Etisalat as the carrier.

The only thing I did different was having read some posts elsewhere, was activate Facetime on the phone when on a wifi connection and then navigate to Settings > General > About > and leave that page open for a minute or so, then go back to phone and the waiting for activation page was no my number will be shared with other Facetime users.

It was not a firmware issue as my phone is on 4.02 and the wife's on 4.00 still.

Good luck

Message was edited by: Buscriver

Aug 21, 2010 6:08 AM in response to WalidDubai

I havent tried this, but couple of friends tried your steps and worked also... the only thing I know they did differently is that when they open Settings/ Phone... if my number is UNKONWN, you enter it manually (+97150....) and then go to about for 2 minutes... hard rest your phone (HOME/ POWER button together for few seconds until the Apple logo comes on screen).

I am out of Dubai now... but will try it in few days and report back.

Meanwhile, please try it and post findings.

Facetime "Waiting for Activation Issue" When switching SIM cards

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.