Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I switch the computer I sync my iPhone with and keep my apps?

Hi there,

I currently sync my iPhone 4 with my work computer but want to start syncing it with my home MacBook instead.

How would I make this switch whilst still keeping all the apps on the phone? I know I can re-format the phone on the home computer, but my apps wouldn't load back on automatically, so is there a way?

Thanks 🙂

2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo + 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.6.4), Western Digital External Hard Drive 1TB + Iomega eGo 320GB

Posted on Jul 8, 2010 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 7:46 AM

Install the latest iTunes on your home computer. Authorize it in the iTunes store with the same account you have on the iPhone. Connect the phone BUT DO NOT SYNC. Go to the File menu and choose Transfer Purchases... This will transfer your apps and any iTunes purchased music and videos to iTunes on your home computer.

Now you can sync; the sync will delete content from the phone, but since it is now in iTunes on your home computer it will be restored as part of the sync.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2011 7:46 AM in response to Simon Judd

Install the latest iTunes on your home computer. Authorize it in the iTunes store with the same account you have on the iPhone. Connect the phone BUT DO NOT SYNC. Go to the File menu and choose Transfer Purchases... This will transfer your apps and any iTunes purchased music and videos to iTunes on your home computer.

Now you can sync; the sync will delete content from the phone, but since it is now in iTunes on your home computer it will be restored as part of the sync.

Jan 21, 2011 7:47 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hi Lawrence,

I've hit a problem. I am back at work, on the iTunes that I used to sync the iPhone with, and I plugged in the phone to charge it.

I was expecting a window to come up saying that this iPhone is synced with another iTunes, do you want to wipe it and sync with this one ... I was then going to cancel it and leave the iPhone to charge through the computer.

However, I got a message saying the the iPhone had apps that aren't on the computer, so would I like to transfer them across. If I didn't transfer them, they would be lost.

So I transfered them, and now it has lost some of the music and photos that are on the home PowerMac but not on this iMac. So I will need to go back home and restore the phone to get them back.

How do I make this work iMac now just let me charge my phone without syncing it?

Thanks

Simon

How can I switch the computer I sync my iPhone with and keep my apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.