Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Special symbols such as plus minus ±

Hello!

Is there a way to introduce special symbols such as ± usually required in scientific and/or technical writing via the iPad Keyboard? I mean "natively" or via an App but without lookups in internet (such as Glyphboard).

Thanks

Stefano

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPhone 3G, iPad

Posted on Jul 9, 2010 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2017 12:08 PM

I know it's a little too late for response your answer, but maybe someone had the same old question. To insert the (±) symbol from your keyboard (I don't verify this on the iPad) but you can get it pressing the following sentence of keys:

[option] + [shift] + [+] = [±], or I think in newer version of iOS, you can get ir also pressing the "=" bottom.

I hope I could help someone with the same question.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2017 12:08 PM in response to Stefanos Demertzis1

I know it's a little too late for response your answer, but maybe someone had the same old question. To insert the (±) symbol from your keyboard (I don't verify this on the iPad) but you can get it pressing the following sentence of keys:

[option] + [shift] + [+] = [±], or I think in newer version of iOS, you can get ir also pressing the "=" bottom.

I hope I could help someone with the same question.

Oct 10, 2017 11:28 AM in response to madamacson

Only replying to this because there have been lots of views and someone posted recently, showing continuing interest.

The new pages version has the ability to to do exactly this on iOS. It has a Paragraph sign above the normal keyboard that has a new option to add an equation and that new keyboard layout has the +/- on it .

that functionality does not seem to be present in any other of the apps though in ios11

Not sure why nobody suggested this up to now, but there is also at least one free keyboard you can download that does have the +/- sign you are referring to on it. (I am not associated with it, note it does have an in app purchase option for more characters i think). those additional keyboards are accessible from any program I believe.

Jason

Special symbols such as plus minus ±

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.