Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pioneer DVR-110 vs. DVR-110D

okay, I want to help my dad upgrade his PowerMac G4 (FW800) for the holidays. I know for a fact that the old man wants a DVR-110 but I'm a little confused on the whole optical drive upgrade thing.

First off, is there a difference between the DVR-100 and DVR-110D? Will only one work for us Mac folks?

Second: what's all this drive flashing business? Do I need to flash the drive before it works? I have a peecee available - do I have to flash it on the peecee for it to work?

Lastly: what's all this firmware business? is the firmware that comes with the drive no good? is the firmware upgraded with the flashing?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

And for those who think I'm spoiling the holiday for my old man, I'm betting he won't read this - and if you're reading this, Pop, then just pretend you didn't see it! 🙂

Dual 1gig G4 (Mirror Door) Mac OS X (10.4.1)

Posted on Nov 28, 2005 5:01 PM

7 replies

Nov 28, 2005 7:11 PM in response to Noah Apodaca

DVR-110D is the version sold in the US - it does not allow DVD-RAM write capabilities.

If you have a PC available, it is always a good idea to update the drive firmware of Pioneer drives; early version firmware tends to be flaky. You can do this on a Mac, but requires more steps.

You could also just get a NEC ND-3540A and not worry about any of that.

Either way, Newegg.com has either drive for under $40....

Dec 13, 2005 8:53 AM in response to Hussein-New-York

I just purchased the Pioneer DVR-110D for my G4 733 Digital Audio which currently has a Pineer 107 s-drive. I'm planning to test the newest 110D Pioneer Drive within a FW enclosure first. If it works there, then I'll also try it out internally on the G4.

Any feedback from anyone who has already successfully installed this newest pioneer burner would be sincerely appreciated. Ohterwise, I'll post back later with my results.

---------------------
My system profiler on the current S-Drive reads as follows:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D:

Firmware Revision: 1.13
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2000 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: No

Mar 5, 2006 1:52 PM in response to WWJD

This Pioneer DVR-110D is fairly impressive. Just burned my first dual layer DVD-R. Very fast burn times. I actually still have mine in an ext. FW enclosure. No need really to mount it internally. Works just as well in the external FW enclosure as it does internally. Plus I am now able to use both pioneer S-drives at the same time this way.

Pioneer DVR-110 vs. DVR-110D

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.