Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CD/DVD writer (Burner) not communicating with Mac using USB

I was in communication with "Limnos" about my DVD writer failing to communicate with my Mac. His reply received on 29 Nov 2018 but the post is now gone.

The suggestion was to try my writer on another computer to see if it works. Finally I have an answer from my Son-in-Law, he connected the writer to his Windows 10 laptop and proceeded to write not only DVD's but also CDR's.

This reminds me of another episode where my Mac would not communicate with a USB device. My card reader. To cut a long story short when I connected my old (2008) wired keyboard to my Mac the card reader worked perfectly???? I tried my writer this way but it still will not communicate with the Mac, I get an error message which say's, failed connection and an error code which I cannot remember, but the error code has been discussed on these forums previously.

Posted on Dec 5, 2018 10:55 PM

9 replies

Dec 6, 2018 6:38 PM in response to CMCSK

2017, model  Model Name: iMac, Model Identifier: iMac18,3, Processor Name: Intel Core i5 Processor Memory: 16 GB. Purchased April 2018. All updates installed.

SMC reset already completed along with anything else I can think of, including safe boot.

The USB ports on the iMac work correctly with other products, eg CanoScan 9000 Mk2 scanner, Samsung Laser printer, wired USB keyboard plugged in and works fine.

I cannot remember the system error code and cannot let you have the code until my Son-in-Law returns my DVD writer. But this issue is well reported here over a number of years.

Dec 6, 2018 10:50 PM in response to CMCSK

Apple Care? I contacted them over my card reader problem, they of course blamed the card reader. Frankly all they did was replicate the good advice that you get here.

Even my local Apple Store could not explain why the card reader would not work in a display iMac but worked perfectly in a display MacBook.

I solved the problem myself by using a 10 year old wired keyboard from my dead 2008 iMac.

I'll mull over your reply, but I do not have a great deal of confidence in Apple Care, after my dealings with them in April.

Dec 9, 2018 4:19 AM in response to Old Toad

Okay DVD writer back. I have once again reset SMC and NVPRAM/PRAM the end result was I managed to write one disk, I then tried another disk and received the now famous message of death (for my DVD burner)

The disc can’t be burned because communication between the computer and the disc drive failed (error code 0x80020022

This issue has been reported numerous times on these forums from what I can see. My Son-in-Law wrote the files I wanted onto three discs without issue with his Window laptop.

So how to proceed, I suppose I am going to have to contact Apple now, which no doubt will result in doing all the things that I have done at the behest of you kind people here.

CD/DVD writer (Burner) not communicating with Mac using USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.