Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incomplete TimeMachine backups are taking up disk space on my Mac.

My MacBook (macOS Mojave, happened on other OS too) keeps shrinking on space and even after a restart I can't seem to reclaim most of it. Of the 256 GB HDD, ~173 GB is taken up by the "system" with only <7 GB free. I also have a time capsule that wirelessly backs up my MBPr.

Recently, I restored my mac from a backup and reclaimed over 50 GB free space.

It all worked fine till I had to leave my mac away from me for a few days. When I returned, I realized that the backups didn't happen and the free space is now down to 7 GB. Even restarting didn't help.

Hypothesis: I suspect that the Time Machine backups that don't complete successfully are still stuck in the system and need to be flushed out.

Question: How do I do this?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Dec 6, 2018 3:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2018 7:23 AM

Omni Disk Sweeper was helpful - I figured out where my disk space was going.

Large part of it was Xcode logs - nearly 75 GB! Wow.

and then also found out backups being verified but not being completed. Worked wonders. Thanks.

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 7, 2018 2:10 PM in response to mhmmdmz

No action is required unless macOS reports your startup disk space is running low.

"System" includes "local snapshots" that can be used to restore the system on which they reside. If I had to guess that's where the space is going, in which case it's normal. The space they occupy (along with other temporary storage) is reclaimed when it is required by the system.

Incomplete TimeMachine backups are taking up disk space on my Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.