Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing problem with iTunes from Mojave to Apple TV

iTunes version 12.9.0.164

iMac, late 2012

Mojave MacOS version 10.14.1

Two iTunes libraries: one residing on iMac HDD; other on G-Drive USB 3.0

Three Apple TVs: Apple 4K, 4th generation version tvOS 12.1; Apple 1080p, 4th generation version tvOS 12.1; Apple 1080p, 3rd generation tvOS 7.2.2

Home Sharing has been set up for many years and until recently has worked flawlessly to play music from my iTunes libraries to our various Apple TVs. Home Sharing continues to work almost flawlessly on the 3rd generation Apple TV although there have been issues with it loading cover art. Home Sharing also works without problem from the iMac to my iPad indicating that WiFi is operating okay.

Home Sharing is seriously compromised on both of the 4th generation Apple TVs to the point that it is effectively unplayable. When access to iTunes is attempted via the Computer app and Home Sharing, iTunes will open and almost immediately displays an error message “No iTunes libraries available”.  If I open iTunes and leave it for several minutes, it tends to stabilize and can allow a few songs to play but eventually the error message appears. If I manually hop around my playlists or songs, this will also trigger the same error message. Note that the two iTunes libraries are stored separately on the iMac HDD and on an external hard drive. The problem occurs equally with both file sources.

I have attempted to resolve this issue with the help of the Apple Care folks (reboot of all components) and at the Genius Bar of our local Apple store. The Apple TV 4K was replaced under warranty and still no resolution.

I’ve suspected that the Mojave MacOS is the probable cause and have reloaded it on the iMac. Still no resolution.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 6, 2018 4:54 PM

2 replies

Jan 23, 2019 11:36 AM in response to Vericky

I’ve worked with Apple Care for over two months now without resolution. Apple provided software updates today for MacOS, TVOS and iOS which resolved nothing for this iTunes Home Sharing issue (crash, reboot, repeat). Effectively, iTunes has been rendered useless as a player for my music files. Yeah, I’m frustrated.

Home Sharing problem with iTunes from Mojave to Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.