Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone receiving duplicate text messages

I just upgraded to an iPhone X and I have been receiving duplicate text messages. For example, my boyfriend who has an android, texts me “I love you” and I’ll get the same text again. I tried all the fixes in google but it’s still happening.

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone X

Posted on Dec 6, 2018 10:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2018 8:04 PM

Hey Smawts,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! I can appreciate how annoying double texts are, so let's see if we can isolate a cause together. First and foremost, is this problem only happening with non-Apple devices, or are you also receiving iMessages that are coming through twice? The reason I ask is that non-Apple device texts are known as SMS/MMS messages, and are solely supported by your local carrier. If that's the case, I'd strongly recommend reaching out to them before trying anything else.

If the duplicate texts aren't exclusive to SMS/MMS messages, let's check on a few device-specific things. Are you running the most current version of iOS? If you aren't, perform a back up beforehand, then get the device up-to-date. Head to Settings > Notifications > Messages and double-check that Repeat Alerts is set to 'Never'. Let's also check Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and make sure you don't see any duplicate listings there. If not, go back one page and switch the iMessage toggle off, power off the iPhone for a few minutes, then restart it and turn iMessage back on.

If none of the above works, try erasing the device and set it up as new. This eliminates any software that may be conflicting with iOS 12 and causing the issue you've been experiencing. Here's a helpful article about the restore process: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Hope this helps you get things sorted out. Let me know if anything doesn't work as expected, if you run into more trouble, or even just to say which step that fixed the problem.

Cheers!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2018 8:04 PM in response to Smawts

Hey Smawts,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! I can appreciate how annoying double texts are, so let's see if we can isolate a cause together. First and foremost, is this problem only happening with non-Apple devices, or are you also receiving iMessages that are coming through twice? The reason I ask is that non-Apple device texts are known as SMS/MMS messages, and are solely supported by your local carrier. If that's the case, I'd strongly recommend reaching out to them before trying anything else.

If the duplicate texts aren't exclusive to SMS/MMS messages, let's check on a few device-specific things. Are you running the most current version of iOS? If you aren't, perform a back up beforehand, then get the device up-to-date. Head to Settings > Notifications > Messages and double-check that Repeat Alerts is set to 'Never'. Let's also check Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and make sure you don't see any duplicate listings there. If not, go back one page and switch the iMessage toggle off, power off the iPhone for a few minutes, then restart it and turn iMessage back on.

If none of the above works, try erasing the device and set it up as new. This eliminates any software that may be conflicting with iOS 12 and causing the issue you've been experiencing. Here's a helpful article about the restore process: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Hope this helps you get things sorted out. Let me know if anything doesn't work as expected, if you run into more trouble, or even just to say which step that fixed the problem.

Cheers!

iPhone receiving duplicate text messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.