Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad pro on-screen keyboard typing issues – characters skipped

My new 11” ipad pro does this: when I use it in portrait mode, with the USB-C port at the bottom, using the on-screen keyboard, certain letters are skipped when typing. Especially those closer to the middle of the screen (y, g etc.). It’s horrible really.

Gets worse if my hands are hugging the left and righ sides of the ipad. It’s totally fine if I flip the ipad and use it with the USB-C port pointing up, or in landscape mode. It’s also fine when I put the ipad down on a surface and type without holding it. So I’m thinking it’s something to do with the smart keyboard connectors, or something electrical/conductive anyway.

Anybody else noticing this? Relly easy for me to replicate if I hold the ipad and type a series of letters “y” and “o” rapidly in succession, like oyooooyoyoyoyoyoyoooooooooyoyoyoo (You can see how many “y”s are missed – I’m typing all this on the ipad). Again, this doesn’t happen if I flip the ipad, or put it down, or type in landscape.

Any body else have similar issues? Could you check on yours? Drives me crazy really.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Dec 7, 2018 3:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2018 3:00 AM

I have the same problem, you can easily reproduce this issue by just typing the letter „g“ with your thumb rapidly while holding it in portrait mode, and you’ll notice it skips letters even if it registers the key press on the keyboard.

I tried it out on 6 different iPad 11 inch in two different apple stores, exactly the same behaviour. It also shows this behavior if I turn mine180 degrees with the USB port to the top.

it has to be a huge bug, but almost nobody seems to notice it. It’s impossible to write normally on the new iPad with your thumbs while holding it in portrait :-(

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2018 3:00 AM in response to OnurO

I have the same problem, you can easily reproduce this issue by just typing the letter „g“ with your thumb rapidly while holding it in portrait mode, and you’ll notice it skips letters even if it registers the key press on the keyboard.

I tried it out on 6 different iPad 11 inch in two different apple stores, exactly the same behaviour. It also shows this behavior if I turn mine180 degrees with the USB port to the top.

it has to be a huge bug, but almost nobody seems to notice it. It’s impossible to write normally on the new iPad with your thumbs while holding it in portrait :-(

Dec 8, 2018 6:57 AM in response to Megalon1112

Thanks for confirming the behavior Megalon1112. And also for saving me from visiting the Apple store to try it out on other iPads, because that’s what I was going to do next.

And you are right, it does skip letters even when I can clearly see that the actual key registers the press (by turning gray). Which I think means it’s a hardware issue. I should feel luck that mine at leasts types fine withe the usb port at the top.

I’m now worried that this doesn’t just affect typing. What if it also causes issues in games, where touch responsiveness is crucial to the experience?

This seems like a big problem to me guys. What can I do to bring this to Apple’s attention?

Dec 8, 2018 7:08 AM in response to OnurO

I really think it’s not a hardware issue, as it registers the right key. So the touchscreen itself has to be functioning properly. It just does not put out the character. I can’t think of any mechanism making this hardware related.

I’m still wondering why it works for you if you flip it 180, this is really strange to me. The iPads I tried out has the same behaviour in both directions.

Unfortunately I don’t know how to get this to Apples attention.

Dec 8, 2018 7:34 AM in response to Megalon1112

It might be related to the smart keyboard connectors on the sides. Or the magnets. Like I said in the original post, I can make the “bug” better or worse by just adjusting how much my hands are in contact with the sides of the ipad. And, if I hold it with my left hand only, and type with my right index finger, everything is fine. Or if I put it on a surface, instead of holding it.

These observations, along with the fact that there are no issues when the ipad is flipped 180, makes me think it’s a hardware issue.

Dec 10, 2018 10:28 AM in response to OnurO

Today i had the chance to try three iPad 11” in a local electronics store: they all show the same problem. Typing while holding in portrait mode using the US keyboard is broken, letters “b” and “g” more often than not don’t response properly. This was also true in the flipped configuration, so it behaved exactly like mine. To make sure I’m not getting crazy, I let the “genius” try it with the same effect. He never noticed this before!

I have no idea why nobody notices so far, maybe people tend to not write on the onscreen keyboard. But I’m still quite sure it’s a software bug as it is extremely consistent for me. I also still don’t know why it works for you in the flipped configuration, this is really strange.

Dec 10, 2018 12:14 PM in response to Megalon1112

It is definitely 90%-100% more accurate when flipped for me. Also, like I said, the bug gets better/worse depending on exactly where I'm touching on the edges of the ipad, and how much my skin is in contact with the metal. And if I put the ipad down on a table, and just type using finger tips, everything works perfectly. Try that, and see if that makes any difference for you.

I wish it was a software issue, but I'm afraid it might be related to the physical design, material properties, electrical etc.

Dec 10, 2018 12:57 PM in response to OnurO

If I put it down on a table and use my finger tips, everything works fine. Same if I hold up the ipad with one hand and use my finger tips. Problems only occur if my things (thumbs, usually) cross the boundaries of the one key. I'm also able to reproduce the error by pressing the key extremely "soft", just at the right angle, and it does not show of the character in the related App although the key is shown as pressed all the time.

My reasoning why it's most likely not a hardware issue is that the key pressed is registered itself perfectly, problem is the character itself not occurring in the App. Fingers crossed it gets fixed soon.

Jan 9, 2019 10:51 PM in response to OnurO

Don't worry too much, it will be fixed for sure.

I also cannot believe why this is not a big "touchgate" right now, but people just seem to not noticing it. That's also the main reason why this problem persisted through numerous beta releases. And, of course, the Christmas holidays.

For me it's also extremely annoying, and I also suffer from it every day. As I have two colleagues having the same perception, there are countless more around the world. Most likely Apple is already aware of the problem, but it may take some time to fix.

Ipad pro on-screen keyboard typing issues – characters skipped

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.