📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Intelligence comes to iPhone, iPad, and Mac starting next month. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple debuts iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Randomly appearing app icons in app switching

Hey out there.

Does any one know why random apps randomly appear as icons on my app switching page. Example in picture the thing I am referring to is the small rectangular icon at the bottom of the screen shot.

Posted on Dec 8, 2018 9:37 PM

4 replies

Dec 10, 2018 7:29 AM in response to ElroyPine

Hello ElroyPine,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you'd like to know more about the box at the bottom of the app switching page. I can help with this. This is part of Handoff and allows you to see what you were using on another device so you can easily go back to what you were doing.

Pick up where you left off with Handoff on Mac - Apple Support

Hand off between devices
From your Mac to an iOS device: The Handoff icon of the app you’re using on your Mac appears on your iPhone (at the bottom of the app switcher) or your iPad or iPod touch (at the end of the Dock). Tap to continue working in the app.

Take care.

Randomly appearing app icons in app switching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.