Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can no longer modify track information or artwork in iTunes 12.9.2.5

Since the installation of Mojave on my iMac around a month ago (November 2018), iTunes does not let me modify titles, information or artwork in the tracks or albums that I add to iTunes.

Is there anyone experiencing the same issue, who has found a way to solve a similar one?

This is really really annoying, as all my music runs on iTunes and I've spent years building and updating my library.

Thanks in advance for helping out!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 9, 2018 10:54 AM

24 replies

Dec 16, 2018 8:43 AM in response to mc20100

Hmm, that ought not be a problem. exFAT probably would be.

Did you see the section in Repair security permissions for iTunes for Mac - Apple Community on multiple tags in mp3 files? When working with a single file are the fields greyed out to indicate that they cannot be edited, or are you able to make edits that either don't get applied, or get applied temporarily but then revert to the original values?

tt2

Dec 15, 2018 5:25 AM in response to turingtest2

The media is stored in an external HD, I explicitly reset the permissions both in the iTunes folder and in the Library folder, I deleted the Album Artwork Cache folder but nothing seems to work.

I am really frustrated believe me, I was so proud of my iTunes library up until last month - now I am thinking of finding another music player that is able to organise my music and display the artwork correctly.

If you can think of another solution please let me know. Thanks so much in advance!

mc20100

Dec 17, 2018 12:24 AM in response to mc20100

Does using the command File > Convert > Convert ID3 tags... > None several times have no impact at all? If you view the track details in Finder then a property like Album should be deleted in the tag is removed even though the iTunes library will retain that information.

The other option is convert to a new file, which should then have an editable tag.

tt2

Jan 18, 2019 8:10 AM in response to mc20100

I have been battling with this exact same issue for weeks now. Running Mojave and iTunes 12.9.2.5 on a 27" iMac and my iTunes music folder is part of my 2TB internal Fusion Drive. I wasted the better part of an entire weekend trying all the various "fixes" found on these forums with no positive results. So frustrating!

Interestingly I found myself having to resort to using the exact same piece of incredibly overpriced software (Mp3Tag) to "correct" the tags prior to importing. The worst is if you make a mistake and don't properly correct the tag prior to importing, you have to delete the tracks from iTunes, correct them again with Mp3Tag, and then import all over again. An awful predicament for someone as anal-retentive about his music as I am. Even a simple genre correction switches back to the original import (thanks whoever decided to use "JazzReggaeLatinFunkSoul").

I cannot imagine we are the only people experiencing these same issues... is it possible most people just don't edit or don't care about correct tags once a track is imported?

Can no longer modify track information or artwork in iTunes 12.9.2.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.