Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie export - movies good audio good stills grainy

Macbook Air. High Sierra.

My project appears good within iMovie 10.1.10 app. iMovie says export 'successful'. After export, all looks good, Movies, & audio good except all the still .jpeg's are "grainy" looking. Exporting to quick time. Exporting 720p - faster speed for better quality. Multiple tries...very very frustrated.

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 9, 2018 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2018 10:53 PM

Hi, francesca,

You can try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if your photos share out properly.

If deleting preferences doesn't help, sometimes reducing the resolution of the photo itself helps. Try moving one of the photos to your desktop and opening it in the Preview app on your Mac. When in Preview, click on Tools/Adjust Size. Then, in the box that appears, lower the long resolution number to a number less than 4000, say 2500. So if the resolution is 4200 x 3200, change the 4200 number to 2500. Then import it back into a newly created project and export it. See if that cures the problem.

Another thing you can try is to do an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of the media in your project and paste it into a newly created project. See if you can share out without grainy photos.

-- Rich

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2018 10:53 PM in response to francesca52

Hi, francesca,

You can try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if your photos share out properly.

If deleting preferences doesn't help, sometimes reducing the resolution of the photo itself helps. Try moving one of the photos to your desktop and opening it in the Preview app on your Mac. When in Preview, click on Tools/Adjust Size. Then, in the box that appears, lower the long resolution number to a number less than 4000, say 2500. So if the resolution is 4200 x 3200, change the 4200 number to 2500. Then import it back into a newly created project and export it. See if that cures the problem.

Another thing you can try is to do an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of the media in your project and paste it into a newly created project. See if you can share out without grainy photos.

-- Rich

Dec 11, 2018 11:24 AM in response to Rich839

Rich:

I did all the steps you suggested. FYI - The one that finally worked was resizing ALL the jpeg’s. (What a task THAT was!) I am curious why this had to be done so that I may have an understanding & learn for future projects. (This project was a favor for someone else). It was getting crazy & very daunting. On the verge of tears!

I am very grateful for this forum and the support it brings. Rich, you taking the time to reply & help was a lifesaver. Your instructions were clear & easy to follow. Offering various solutions was key in this instance.

I thank you very, very much!

Francesca

iMovie export - movies good audio good stills grainy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.