Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPAD

My ipad is approx. 4 years old and is currently running on IOS 9 it is very slow but when I go to download a new software update there is none available. My ipad appears to check for an update for about 2 hour before switching itself off. Does anyone know what I can do?

Posted on Dec 10, 2018 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2018 8:11 AM

Good morning hazel150!

I see that you're having some trouble with your iPad shutting down unexpectedly, as well as updating it. I'd like to help out. 

When the iPad shuts down, do you receive any temperature warnings on the screen? Learn about the operating temperatures and temperature management of your iPad in the following support article: Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

For updating, depending on your iPad model, 9.3.5 may be the highest iOS version it can update to. These models include the iPad 2, iPad mini, and iPad (3rd generation). You can see which version you have using these steps: Identify your iPad model - Apple Support

You can also update using iTunes on a computer. Scroll halfway down the page to "Update your device using iTunes": Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2018 8:11 AM in response to hazel150

Good morning hazel150!

I see that you're having some trouble with your iPad shutting down unexpectedly, as well as updating it. I'd like to help out. 

When the iPad shuts down, do you receive any temperature warnings on the screen? Learn about the operating temperatures and temperature management of your iPad in the following support article: Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

For updating, depending on your iPad model, 9.3.5 may be the highest iOS version it can update to. These models include the iPad 2, iPad mini, and iPad (3rd generation). You can see which version you have using these steps: Identify your iPad model - Apple Support

You can also update using iTunes on a computer. Scroll halfway down the page to "Update your device using iTunes": Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Cheers!

Dec 12, 2018 10:48 AM in response to hazel150

If your iPad is “stuck” on iOS 9.3.5, it is possible you have an older iPad 2, 3 or 1st gen iPad Mini that cannot be upgraded beyond iOS 9.3.5.

These older iDevices are actually 6 and 7 year old iDevices.

The internal hardware in these older iPads is too old and underpowered to sufficiently run newer iOS versions.

Also, if your iPad is slow,

Tap on the link below to my iDevice/iOS performance/optimisation user tips link.

Slow iPad on iOS 9, 10 or 11! - Apple Community

Try all of these tips and leave each tip active together. Do not simply try every tip individually, expecting just one tip to be a performance “cure all”.

Many of these tips are designed to work together to help improve overall iOS/iDevice performance.

Good Luck!

IPAD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.