Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pay disabled because the security settings of this Mac were modified

I'm trying to set up Apple Pay on a new MacBook Air (macOS 10.14.2). I was able to add cards without difficulty — but, when I returned later, in System Preferences, it's telling me that 'Apple Pay has been disabled because the security settings of this Mac were modified'. And I can't get past this to set up Apple Pay.

• Tried removing the cards and adding them again. Won't let me add them at all — same error message.
  • My security settings are high. Firewall on. (Tried switching it off: no difference.)
  • I followed the advice in this support article (linked to from the error message above). I have the highest level of secure boot settings. (I've tried switching those settings to the lowest setting, rebooting, setting them to the highest setting again, and rebooting again. No change.)
  • Latest version of macOS.
  • I switched on FileVault, possibly after first adding cards to Apple Pay.
  • I have no third-party security software running.
  • No other glitches or problems with macOS or iCloud.
  • I'm able to use Apple Pay from my iPhone without problem.

Any advice gratefully received!

Adam

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Dec 12, 2018 1:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2018 4:19 AM

I just figured out that the problem in my case is not related to any particular external display but whether or not the lid on my MacBook is open or closed. When it's closed and I'm working from an external display, I get the message that "Apple Pay has been disabled because the security settings of this Mac were modified."

With the lid open everything is fine (even with the external monitors still connected).

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2018 4:19 AM in response to 'John Jackson'

I just figured out that the problem in my case is not related to any particular external display but whether or not the lid on my MacBook is open or closed. When it's closed and I'm working from an external display, I get the message that "Apple Pay has been disabled because the security settings of this Mac were modified."

With the lid open everything is fine (even with the external monitors still connected).

Jan 1, 2019 12:36 AM in response to RouteTable

Thank you, RouteTable. This has fixed it for me.

Interestingly, the support article that the error message links to refers to this, but suggests doing it merely "To make sure that you always get important security updates promptly", not because it's necessary for Apple Pay to work even if you do have all current security updates installed. Better clarity in this support article would have helped me, and perhaps others too.

Many thanks again. I'm grateful for your help.

Best wishes

Adam

Dec 23, 2018 6:56 AM in response to Adam's username

Update: I have also tried the following, without success:

1. Delete all fingerprints from, and switch off, Touch ID. Reboot.
  2. Switch off FileVault. Reboot.
  3. Switch FileVault back on. Reboot.
  4. Add fingerprints back to, and switch on, Touch ID. Reboot.

At each stage, the error message persisted: "Could Not Set Up Apple Pay. Apple Pay has been disabled because the security settings of this Mac were modified."

So I'm still looking for a solution. I've been in touch with Apple but, so far, they have not come up with a fix.

Dec 20, 2018 1:33 PM in response to Adam's username

Hi,

I had the same issue... I did the same steps mentioned in the Question made by Adam and in addition I did re-install OS X (No clean Install) with no success... As my last hope I removed my Thunder Bolt dock from my new MacBook Pro 2018... and this fixed the problem. Once I removed the Thunder Bolt Dock the issue is no longer occurring. I can reproduce the problem; If I plug in back the Thunderbolt Dock the issue returns.

Hope this can help.

Jose

Apple Pay disabled because the security settings of this Mac were modified

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.