Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Erase process has failed. Click Done to continue."

I want to erase a partitioned (and fairly new) external HD, using Disk Utility, so I can repartition it. I've clicked "Show all devices", selected the HD (as opposed to the individual partitions), gone with the default format (Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and scheme (GUID Partition MAP), and clicked Erase. DU tries erasing, then tells me "Erase process has failed. Click Done to continue."

How do I sort this?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 12, 2018 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2018 12:00 PM

Drive Partition and Format - El Capitan or Later

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities' folder.
  2. After Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the side list. 
  3. Click on the Partition tab in the Disk Utility toolbar. A new window will open with a pie chart of existing partitions.
  4. Select the partition you wish to remove then click on the Delete [-] button.
  5. Click on the Apply button.
  6. Quit Disk Utility.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2018 12:00 PM in response to duncantho

Drive Partition and Format - El Capitan or Later

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities' folder.
  2. After Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the side list. 
  3. Click on the Partition tab in the Disk Utility toolbar. A new window will open with a pie chart of existing partitions.
  4. Select the partition you wish to remove then click on the Delete [-] button.
  5. Click on the Apply button.
  6. Quit Disk Utility.

"Erase process has failed. Click Done to continue."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.