Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS AWFUL QUALITY CAMERA

I am so disappointed in this iPhone. I can only hope this can be fixed with an update. ALL of my photos are blurry, overly smoothed out and grainy. Here is a comparison of my old iPhone 7 Plus (takes last week) & new iPhone XS (taken today). *Both photos were taken in well lit places. I have zoomed in on BOTH photos, so you can recognize the true difference*.

IPHONE 7PLUS (left)

IPHONE XS (right)

iPhone XS

Posted on Dec 12, 2018 7:05 PM

16 replies

Dec 15, 2018 6:58 AM in response to CrystalLV

Greetings, CrystalLV.

I see that you feel the quality of the photos you take with your iPhone XS isn't as good as the ones you've taken with your iPhone 7 Plus. I'm happy to help.

Use camera modes on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- You may have been using different modes for the photos you've taken. This article provides the information on those camera modes. See if using Portrait mode works better.

If the camera on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch isn't working -- Even though the cameras of your iPhone XS are working, the information in this article can help.

Take care!

Jan 2, 2019 3:51 AM in response to glck

If you don't like the results, the only thing you can do is return your phone, as it's not likely the algorithm will change anytime soon.

Note that there was an issue with front camera photos being overly smoothed in earlier versions of iOS that was resolved in iOS 12.1.

If you like, you may express your concerns to Apple here:

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Jan 2, 2019 3:01 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

I live in Japan but bought the phone in HK for the dual sim. I only start using the phone after returning to Japan and restoring the backup from X using iTune. If I were still in HK I will definitely return my phone.

Everyone takes different photos. I use my phone a lot to take my kids photos. The photo quality by XR is just awful. Most of the photos of their face are looking unnatural. I do not see the same issue with my X. Turning off Smart HDR does not help a lot.

I notice the same issue on many sample photos. I thought this could be fixed by simply turning off HDR and photo quality will be back to usual, but it is not.

iPhone XS AWFUL QUALITY CAMERA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.