Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

home sharing

I cannot find home sharing in icloud

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Dec 12, 2018 8:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2018 8:15 PM

That's because Home sharing is not in iCloud.

Home Sharing is between a computer holding the iTunes Library being shared and devices wanting to access the shared library on the same network.

It has no relation to iCloud at all.

See here: Use Home Sharing to share iTunes content with other devices - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2018 8:15 PM in response to iTunesHomeSharing

That's because Home sharing is not in iCloud.

Home Sharing is between a computer holding the iTunes Library being shared and devices wanting to access the shared library on the same network.

It has no relation to iCloud at all.

See here: Use Home Sharing to share iTunes content with other devices - Apple Support

Dec 16, 2018 10:13 PM in response to turingtest2

It turns out there is a home sharing setting under File/Home Sharing and another one under Itunes/Preferences/Sharing. I've been using the 2nd for years and had no idea the other one was there even though it is stated in the instructions so that part is my bad. However, the question I have now is what is the difference between these two "sharing" settings that seem to be doing exactly the same thing? I guess a person just does a series of one on/one off or both on to see what might work.

Dec 17, 2018 12:14 AM in response to mike.pdx

There are controls for both methods under iTunes > Preferences > Sharing. Home sharing works with your Apple ID and is used to share content to other Apple devices you own. Where applicable it allows content to be copied from one library to another. Network sharing is a play only service that you can use to share your content with other iTunes users on the network, optionally limited by passcode.

tt2

home sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.