Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes disappeared when I reset my hotmail password

I recently logged into my hotmail account, which is my AppleID account, after a long time and had to reset my password to access it. The Notes on my iPhone were linked to this hotmail account but now all but the very old ones have disappeared. I have checked in my mail app and everywhere else I can think of but have not found the most recent ones. I have also made sure the account password and details have been updated in the settings. My inbox and all is working fine and I even have a new folder by the name of 'Notes_0' which has my notes. But only very old ones are in it and the recent ones are nowhere to be found. Please assist.

iPhone 6

Posted on Dec 12, 2018 11:20 PM

15 replies

Jan 6, 2019 11:44 PM in response to vanKaiZeR

Lets forget the using the Apple ID for a moment it is not relevant.

I also have the Outlook mail (linked to my Apple Mail), which was called Hotmail and before that was called MSN.

In my Outlook mail there is no Notes to link to, but there is a OneNote app on Microsoft server..

If you go there maybe Microsoft has transferred your Notes history to it.

Try the https://onedrive.live.com/

Jan 7, 2019 1:32 AM in response to vanKaiZeR

My appleID is my microsoft outlook.com address with no problems and I dont see how resetting or changing the password will affect Notes. If you *changed* your appleID email address then your notes could disappear. Losing some Notes after resetting an email password makes no logical sense to me and I cant offer an explanation.

Jan 7, 2019 1:44 AM in response to LD150

I think that's exactly happened here. Since my apple ID was (and still is) my 'hotmail' account, something got messed up when i was migrated to the outlook infrastructure. Now either apple couldn't handle the shift or Microsoft lost my data somewhere. My data is stuck somewhere in limbo where no side can access it.

Funny thing though, a few notes whose contents I have been able to remember do show up on my iPhone's search bar (not the Notes app's search bar). But when I tap to open them, it just opens the main page of the notes app.

Naturally, this frustrates me further.

Feb 20, 2019 4:59 AM in response to vanKaiZeR

I've had the exact same issue. When I type in my iPhone's search bar, my old notes information pops up, but when I click on it it leads me to the main page of the notes app as well. I've been using my hotmail account as my notes default account for years and to have them disappear is extremely inconvenient and frustrating.

However, on the microsoft help page, somebody suggested that instead of using "exchange" or "outlook" to set up your email in iphone, you should use "other" to set the email up. They got back their hotmail notes. I got the hotmail notes folder to finally pop up along with the rest of my other email accounts' notes folders, but all contents have disappeared. Hope this is somehow helpful. When I try to access my hotmail email on my computer, I also have a new folder that says 'Notes_0', but all my notes still can't be found when I click on it. Apple support, please help.

EDIT:

I just checked my hotmail notes again and all my old notes have reappeared!! Just follow my instructions of using 'other' to re-set up your email in your iPhone(: It may take awhile for all your notes to come back (a couple of minutes) so keep checking!! hope this helped(:

Notes disappeared when I reset my hotmail password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.