Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch wrongly detects pool swim

Whenever I do certain Tai Chi exercises my Series 2 (A1758) thinks I'm in the pool. This is causing me an issue because it locks up my phone which I'm using as a timer. This is the sequence of events.

Start a 3 minute timer on Apple watch. Start exercises. After a couple of minutes watch displays "It looks like you're working out." and gives me the option to "Record Pool Swim". I can't clear this screen or scroll up or down. When my alarm timer alerts the display is unresponsive and I can't stop it using the stop button; I have to cover the watch face with my palm to stop the alarm. The screen is still unresponsive (locked). The only way I've found to get control back of my watch is to rotate the digital crown and put it into the eject water mode.

This is really messing up my workouts and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Posted on Dec 13, 2018 3:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2018 10:53 AM

Hello Chris,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that when you start your Tai Chi workout, your Apple Watch wants to start a swimming workout for you instead. To prevent the watch from selecting a workout for you, you can select a workout before you begin, possibly yoga or other. Take a look at the following support article for info on selecting a workout. If you select "Other" you can name your workout and save the type and it will be available in the future.

About workout types

Best regards.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2018 10:53 AM in response to chrisfromedinburgh

Hello Chris,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that when you start your Tai Chi workout, your Apple Watch wants to start a swimming workout for you instead. To prevent the watch from selecting a workout for you, you can select a workout before you begin, possibly yoga or other. Take a look at the following support article for info on selecting a workout. If you select "Other" you can name your workout and save the type and it will be available in the future.

About workout types

Best regards.

Apple Watch wrongly detects pool swim

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.