Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

White light on touch bar

My touch bar started a few weeks ago to sometimes have a blinking white light on the right of the touchbar. it has now become constant even after updating my computer. the light remains even when the touch bar driver is shut down through activity monitor.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 13, 2018 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2018 11:52 AM

Hi mate,

I had the same problem few weeks ago, white square next to the Touch ID, day after day it was flashing more brighter, I've tried to kill and restart Touch Bar agent in terminal, did reset SMC and NVRAM, nothing helped! The only way to get rid of it is to replace Touch Bar. After replacing problem is gone.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2018 11:52 AM in response to Dpede

Hi mate,

I had the same problem few weeks ago, white square next to the Touch ID, day after day it was flashing more brighter, I've tried to kill and restart Touch Bar agent in terminal, did reset SMC and NVRAM, nothing helped! The only way to get rid of it is to replace Touch Bar. After replacing problem is gone.

Feb 3, 2019 1:55 PM in response to Dpede

i've just discovered that low light is what triggers the flickering; if the room is bright you cannot replicate the issue. when i walk into a dark room the touch bar flickering starts. however, it does not go away when walking into a bright room again unless you actually touch the touch bar. true tone and auto-brightness settings dont seem to have any correlation.

Dec 15, 2018 11:58 AM in response to Dpede

Good afternoon Dpede,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you are describing the Sleep Indicator Light (SIL) on your MacBook Pro. The resource below explains what a blinking light vs. a solid white light means.

Mac computers: Sleep Indicator Light behavior

For initial troubleshooting, I would suggest following the steps to reset the SMC and the NVRAM in the resource below:

If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected

If you get a chance, please reply back to this post and let us know if the issue persists after trying these steps.

Take care.

Jan 1, 2019 5:50 AM in response to 海涛

hi, it was 24 hour service, they did replace the touch bar! but the problem was different after I watched your video, i had just white square flickering next to the touch id, but it was behaving exactly the same as your touch bar, i have MBP 15 2018 so it was replaced by apple care, its definitely hardware problem,

White light on touch bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.