Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 Instability with Bootcamp (2017 21.5 iMac)

Really frustrated with Bootcamp on this **** machine. My old iMac worked perfectly with Bootcamp running Windows 7, but for some reason the newer versions only support Windows 10 - and yet it doesn't even do it properly. No matter what I try - I always have to abandon trying and go back to just macOS and give up any hope of having a dual boot system.

After installation - it always goes to the Windows safe-screen thing saying there was an issue... After rebooting many times, it usually gets to Windows 10 finally... But then it will randomly once again go to that safe screen saying to repair or try booting windows. it's a never ending cycle that never stops - and I've tried different things. I read one thing about not having USB devices plugged in while installing. That didn't work. I've tried removing and then reinstalling bootcamp fresh... Nothing.

It's just frustrating. Why even have bootcamp and support Windows if it can't run the **** thing?

Posted on Dec 13, 2018 1:09 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Dec 14, 2018 4:24 PM in response to Loner T

Hmm - I'm curious to try something then. Is there a way for me to just get the drivers I need for the hardware I have and install them manually on a fresh Windows 10 and not even install bootcamp on the Windows 10 partition? Is bootcamp even necessary on it - since I can just restart the computer and select my startup disk manually? I'll need to find a way to download the drivers in my macOS, put them on a flash drive, and install them from there.

Edit: I suppose all I'd need would be the network drivers to get the wi-fi connection working, then I could have windows just detect and download drivers. I just need to figure out what drivers I need for it.

I'm just really, really surprised that Apple did such a poor job with bootcamp. My 2011 iMac ran Windows 7 like a dream. I wish I could install Windows 7 on this one.

Windows 10 Instability with Bootcamp (2017 21.5 iMac)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.