Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Workkflow from 4K FCPX project to best quality DVD?

I'm trying to produce a decent quality DVD of a ballet show I shot in 4K. It's been ages (and many revisions of software) since I last tried this.

I do have iDVD, and Compressor and Toast. Just wondering what tool to use.

Not particularly fussed about fancy menus, although suspect basic output from FCPX will be a little too simple. I'd put up with that if the end result was superior.

However, I'm wondering if iDVD isn't really so compatible with OSX 10.13!

Posted on Dec 13, 2018 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2018 11:31 PM

Export as Pro Res LT.

That should work just fine.

Or you can alter the Project Properties to match the DVD specs, then copy/paste the existing Project into it.

That will be either PAL or NTSC Standard Definition

As mentioned the OS in use can affect how iDVD will or won't work.

Provide specifics is you still have problems.

Al

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2018 11:31 PM in response to Alexander Lake

Export as Pro Res LT.

That should work just fine.

Or you can alter the Project Properties to match the DVD specs, then copy/paste the existing Project into it.

That will be either PAL or NTSC Standard Definition

As mentioned the OS in use can affect how iDVD will or won't work.

Provide specifics is you still have problems.

Al

Dec 13, 2018 3:17 PM in response to Alexander Lake

" I do have iDVD, and Compressor and Toast. Just wondering what tool to use. "

iDVD is the most versatile regarding menu and personalisation. However, over the various OS upgrades is has become less reliable. 10.13 should work with some incompatibilities.

I personally have retained an older Mac with appropriate OS for iDVD authoring. 10.8.5.

As regards FCP X DVD authoring, the menu is very bare bones basic. The results are as good as a DVD can acheive. Nice quality.

You may want to consider delivery via an MP4 method such as a thumb drive or media streaming service.

That being said, the end user decides. Where I live there is still a demand for DVD because most people have players. I'm finding that this is slowly changing to the methods above.

Al

Workkflow from 4K FCPX project to best quality DVD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.