Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse 2 disconnects intermittently

My Magic Mouse 2 drops the bluetooth connection intermittently for a second or two at a time, then reconnects and works fine again. This happens once or twice a day. It is nowhere near anything that may be causing interference, such as a cordless phone or wifi router. It is fully charged. My MacBook Pro is up to date. Not sure what else could be the problem, and searching the forums has been of no help.

MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar (2018 or later)

Posted on Dec 14, 2018 3:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2019 10:20 AM

I was also having this a few months ago...which drove me absolutely nuts. Came very close to purchasing a new (non-Apple) mouse and keyboard. Frustrated with the multiple (failed) Apple support recommendations of booting into Safe Mode and clearing NVRAM, I repeated my painful WWW search for answers. NOTHING! Back to Apple I went. Failed again. So I gave the safe boot one more time but some unknown reason, this time I got a popup saying -

The following applications could be causing issues with your Mac.

• Free Fonts (https://www.1001freefonts.com/)
  • I have a few other 3rd party apps installed but I started by removing this one (Fonts). And Voilà the issue with my Magic Mouse and Keyboard randomly losing connection stopped.

I know I know...you're probably asking the same question I did. How in the heck does Font Software affect the bluetooth connection between a mouse and keyboard?? NOW IDEA! The only thing I can think is the Font software must have installed something in the .bin, had a corrupt .OTF or .DAT, or scribble scrabble. :-) Either way, I no longer have the issue. Hope this helps.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2019 10:20 AM in response to Rob_BBB

I was also having this a few months ago...which drove me absolutely nuts. Came very close to purchasing a new (non-Apple) mouse and keyboard. Frustrated with the multiple (failed) Apple support recommendations of booting into Safe Mode and clearing NVRAM, I repeated my painful WWW search for answers. NOTHING! Back to Apple I went. Failed again. So I gave the safe boot one more time but some unknown reason, this time I got a popup saying -

The following applications could be causing issues with your Mac.

• Free Fonts (https://www.1001freefonts.com/)
  • I have a few other 3rd party apps installed but I started by removing this one (Fonts). And Voilà the issue with my Magic Mouse and Keyboard randomly losing connection stopped.

I know I know...you're probably asking the same question I did. How in the heck does Font Software affect the bluetooth connection between a mouse and keyboard?? NOW IDEA! The only thing I can think is the Font software must have installed something in the .bin, had a corrupt .OTF or .DAT, or scribble scrabble. :-) Either way, I no longer have the issue. Hope this helps.

Dec 15, 2018 8:33 AM in response to sdimartino

I just started having this same issue on my 27” iMAC and it’s driving me completely nuts. NEVER had this issue before now. I’ve followed the process of resetting the NVRAM and it didn’t work. At this point the only thing that works is a hard shutdown (which I hate). But its all for not because once the compute comes back online it does the same freakin thing. Can’t find anything online to help.

Jan 4, 2019 1:06 AM in response to sdimartino

Many people have been suffering this issue including me. I have contacted the support, and they suggested to use the MacBook in safe mode to find out if it still happens. It was painful to use the computer in safe mode, and I couldn't keep working in safe way much because of the computer slowed down severely. I am just hoping someone solves the issue, so I have been searching new posts in the forum every week.

Feb 27, 2019 5:00 AM in response to Marjhia

That IS frightening news my friend, I've had this beast for some time and have done sometimes stupid, sometimes totally unnecessary, sometimes (not often) intelligent stuff. If I have done this, I wouldn't even remember, so, please,

give me a hint, what are these apps called so I can strike them forever from my, ah, apps? In expectation, thank you very much.

ps I will obviously look at anything with 'apps' in its name, including '1001'.

Magic Mouse 2 disconnects intermittently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.