Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder info window

The right side of the Finder window gives info about the selected file. Except in Mojave, that info is hidden if the window is not large enough. I find it very irritating to have to resize the Finder window everytime I need to look at the size of a file or when it was created. I've never had to do that before with any Mac OS. Is there some way to get around this?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 14, 2018 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2018 9:30 AM

I am not sure what you are expecting.

Mojave *lets you* make a window shorter than High Sierra did.

But you are not being forced to make the windows that short.

Well, maybe the preview in Mojave is a little bigger, too.

As you make a window shorter, the preview size will diminish a bit, but if you make it too short there just isn't enough space.

You can scroll to show the rest of the info, instead of enlarging the window; or just keep a larger window.

You can also choose what info to display there. If, for instance, you don't use tags, you can hide that so that the dates go up a bit. Just go to View->Show Preview Options.

I don't know if there is a hidden preference to make the preview a little smaller.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2018 9:30 AM in response to Nish Music

I am not sure what you are expecting.

Mojave *lets you* make a window shorter than High Sierra did.

But you are not being forced to make the windows that short.

Well, maybe the preview in Mojave is a little bigger, too.

As you make a window shorter, the preview size will diminish a bit, but if you make it too short there just isn't enough space.

You can scroll to show the rest of the info, instead of enlarging the window; or just keep a larger window.

You can also choose what info to display there. If, for instance, you don't use tags, you can hide that so that the dates go up a bit. Just go to View->Show Preview Options.

I don't know if there is a hidden preference to make the preview a little smaller.

Dec 14, 2018 10:34 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I now realize that there's a lot more info underneath the preview that wasn't there in previous versions of the OS. Hence the need for a scroll bar. The default size of the window when I open a folder is not big enough to accommodate all that info, I guess. I was hoping that I could open a folder, select a file, and see how big it is without having to scroll. Oh well, progress! Thanks for your help.

Finder info window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.