Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime with External Mic on iPhone/iPad

I am wondering if there are any external microphones that use the lightning port on iPhones or iPads that are compatible with FaceTime. I have been searching for something that will allow me to have better audio quality in my calls. I tried out the Apogee One, which works with Voice Memo and GarageBand, but it doesn’t work with FaceTime. When I did some more research on Apogee’s website, I came across this page with information about one of their other products:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/knowledgebase/mic/does-mic-work-with-facetime-on-ipadiphone/

It states that FaceTime for iPhone and iPad does not support ANY external microphones regardless of brand. However, it seems this was posted back in 2012 so I’m wondering if there have been any capabilities added with newer versions of iOS since then.

Thanks!

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 15, 2018 7:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2019 6:58 PM

Yes, this is unfortunately true. I have submitted requests to Apple about this especially as it related to education. For example, I am a piano teacher, but I can not use an external mic on an iOS device to teach long-distance. No app that uses video conferencing such as FaceTime, Skype, Zoom, etc. will work with an external mic.

However I have created a work around that is VERY CLUNKY, expensive and requires a lot of equipment. I will post the images here for anyone who might be interested and you can, of course, contact me if you would like to brainstorm other solutions or learn more about my solution.

I use an iPad Pro, External Mic with XLR connection that fits into my iRig connector which also has headphone jack. the iRig connector then plugs into the headphone jack of the iPad allowing me to listen via headphones and transmit via mic. This is all made possible with the iPad camera connection kit which has a lightening connector for powering the iPad and also a USB port for connecting my Anker USB/Gigabit Ethernet hub. I use the hug to connect my iPad to have a wired connection to my internet for fastest possible speeds which is recommended when attempting to conduct music lessons (transmit complex sounds) over the internet via Skype or Zoom. I prefer FaceTime for quality, but Zoom is my second choice. I found Skype to be too unreliable.

This is a VERY CLUNKY set up, but it works and this is the only way to use an external mic with an iPad that has a headphone jack (iPad prior to 2018). Using an external mic or plugging a mic through the headphone jack alone would not allow you to hear what’s coming through.

It’s too bad Apple has not fixed this yet. For distance learning this is a MUST. And I hope distance learning gets more press and import over at Apple.

Please do contact me if you’d like to learn more. I hope the images are helpful.

PS...I upgraded to iPad Pro 2018 since...and this will not work now that the headphone jack is gone. The only solution I foresee is to buy a USB C type hub that also includes a headphone jack and then I will be able to use all my existing equipment. I have not tried this yet.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2019 6:58 PM in response to yaywin

Yes, this is unfortunately true. I have submitted requests to Apple about this especially as it related to education. For example, I am a piano teacher, but I can not use an external mic on an iOS device to teach long-distance. No app that uses video conferencing such as FaceTime, Skype, Zoom, etc. will work with an external mic.

However I have created a work around that is VERY CLUNKY, expensive and requires a lot of equipment. I will post the images here for anyone who might be interested and you can, of course, contact me if you would like to brainstorm other solutions or learn more about my solution.

I use an iPad Pro, External Mic with XLR connection that fits into my iRig connector which also has headphone jack. the iRig connector then plugs into the headphone jack of the iPad allowing me to listen via headphones and transmit via mic. This is all made possible with the iPad camera connection kit which has a lightening connector for powering the iPad and also a USB port for connecting my Anker USB/Gigabit Ethernet hub. I use the hug to connect my iPad to have a wired connection to my internet for fastest possible speeds which is recommended when attempting to conduct music lessons (transmit complex sounds) over the internet via Skype or Zoom. I prefer FaceTime for quality, but Zoom is my second choice. I found Skype to be too unreliable.

This is a VERY CLUNKY set up, but it works and this is the only way to use an external mic with an iPad that has a headphone jack (iPad prior to 2018). Using an external mic or plugging a mic through the headphone jack alone would not allow you to hear what’s coming through.

It’s too bad Apple has not fixed this yet. For distance learning this is a MUST. And I hope distance learning gets more press and import over at Apple.

Please do contact me if you’d like to learn more. I hope the images are helpful.

PS...I upgraded to iPad Pro 2018 since...and this will not work now that the headphone jack is gone. The only solution I foresee is to buy a USB C type hub that also includes a headphone jack and then I will be able to use all my existing equipment. I have not tried this yet.

Dec 16, 2018 6:02 AM in response to yaywin

Assuming that you have an iPad with a 3.5mm Headphone jack, then you will be able to find many high quality external microphones (including standard Apple EarPods) that can connect and be directly/natively utilised by your iPad and FaceTime.

If you have a 2018 iPad Pro (lacking both Headphone and Lightning jacks) your options are currently more limited - as the USB-C connector only supports a limited sub-set of available USB devices.

Hope you find this to be of some help.

Dec 16, 2018 11:27 AM in response to LotusPilot

Hi LotusPilot,

Thanks for your informative reply. As you mentioned, not all the devices I use have the same inputs, and this is mainly why I was hoping to find a mic that doesn’t rely on the 3.5mm jack. Additionally I was hoping to get closer to studio quality audio than the mic on EarPods/AirPods and similar devices can offer.

I was hoping the Apogee One would work as it sounds great when making recordings, but FaceTime on iPhone/iPad simply won’t present it as an option like it does when you use it with a MacBook. Basically I’m trying to determine if that is because of limitations with the One or limitations with the mobile version of FaceTime. If it is the former I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for a USB/Lightning Port mic that works with FaceTime as all of the mobile devices I’m using have that input.

Thanks!

Dec 16, 2018 11:38 AM in response to yaywin

There are many very high quality analogue microphones available. Whilst I included the EarPod as an example, whilst providing good quality audio, they are designed as a noise cancelling mic.

Whilst I’m not personally familiar with mic’ devices that feature Lightning connectors, being a proprietary connectir and electrical interface, you’ll be significantly limiting your choice of devices - and you should consider that future Apple devices (such as the new 2018 iPad Pro) will not feature lighning.

Dec 18, 2018 8:19 AM in response to yaywin

yaywin,

The Shure Motiv line doesn't work either. So between Shure and Apogee not working, I'm guessing pretty much any lightning connected microphone that draws power from the iPad isn't going to work in FaceTime, Skype, or similar programs.

I can tell you I found a workaround with a program I use called Anchor, which has the exact same issue as FaceTime. I plugged in my Shure mic, plugged in a 3.5mm headset, connected with my cohost in Anchor (like a Skype call) which then the iPad used the 3.5mm jack for audio in and out, then I unplugged the 3.5mm headset and it actually connected and worked with the Shure. I imagine this trick might work with FaceTime as well, but certainly isn't ideal and you are SOL if you don't have a 3.5mm port.

I'm curious if using a camera USB/lightning connector would work, so you can charge your iPad while the Apogee is plugged in. I don't have one, but that would be my next test in my adventures to get a nice microphone working with my iPhone XR that I paid $80 for and can't use for the exact reason I bought it (Anchor, remote podcasting). Pretty frustrated with Apple here, as I understand this is an API issue for developers and Apple likes to control what input and output sources your device uses.

Dec 18, 2018 11:43 AM in response to celticmoose

Hi celticmoose,

Thanks for that Anchor workaround - that will be helpful for those that have the 3.5mm jack. Unfortunately I am in the SOL category for now as I need something that will work with my devices that don’t have the 3.5mm jack.

I can also tell you that charging the iPad/iPhone while the mic is plugged in did not help. The Apogee One actually has a Wall wart power supply which you plug in to the mic. This then charges your device through the lightning cable connecting the mic to your device.

Dec 18, 2018 11:56 AM in response to yaywin

The plot thickens.

I will thicken it further - Up until I decided to up my mic game for my podcast, I had been using a 3.5mm headset with a boom mic, like a call center might use (with full earbuds), and it worked just fine in Anchor using the 3.5mm to lightning adapter. I don't understand why this would work but our iOS powered mics don't.

I literally just purchased a battery powered condenser mic with a 3.5mm output on Amazon, that I plan to test using the 3.5mm to lightning adapter. I'll let you know how it goes. I will say that this thing cost $35 and in no way am I expecting it to be anywhere near the quality that an Apogee or Shure iOS mic would be, but I'm curious if a mic that is designed to work with 3.5mm can be used via a lightning adapter. Unfortunately that is going to really lower (or at least limit) the ceiling of quality you can get, as a vast majority of mics nowadays are USB or XLR. I know some things can be converted to 3.5mm, but that gets tricky as well.

Another option that might work would be to look at the iRig Pre (a preamp) which has a 3.5mm out, connect that with a 3.5mm to lightning adapter, and then you can use any XLR microphone you want, including dynamic. The Pre is battery powered so it can act as phantom power for dynamic mics. You can control the gain here as well, and it has audio out for live monitoring.

Any review or setup you ever see online for someone plugging a mic into an iPhone is for like Garageband, or local recording. It's very hard to find information on mics that work with FaceTime or Skype since those apparently restrict the ability to choose your audio source.

FaceTime with External Mic on iPhone/iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.