Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad/iCloud storage

I am wanting to delete the photos in my new iPad but not from my iCloud. How can I do that successfully?

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi

Posted on Dec 15, 2018 9:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2018 5:33 AM

Your iOS-native options are a little limited. You could switch-off iCloud Photos (Settings > [Your Account] > iCloud > Photos - then switch off all options), then delete your locally stored copies - however, any Photos synchronised from your iPad to iCloud will be deleted from iCloud after 30-days.

At present, iOS doesn’t provide the functionality that I believe you are looking for - i.e., you selectively keep some photos on your iPad, but keep all photos in iCloud.

However, what can do is let your iPad “intelligently” manage your photo storage on your iPad - by allowing iOS to keep the full-resolution image in your iCloud storage whilst keeping a low-resolution version on your iPad. You can enable or disable this feature in the ICloud settings on your iPad. This feature can save a considerable chunk of storage space on your device.

Your other option would be to use another Cloud storage provider for your photos, such as Google, Microsoft or other providers.

Google, for example, offer 15GB of free storage. Using such storage can allow you the flexibility to copy any images that you wish to keep long-term to your Google cloud storage - then delete photos from your iPad. You can manage your photos manually through the Apple Files App or use directly use an alternative and appropriate App from your chosen cloud provider.

Hope this is some help to you.

LP

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2018 5:33 AM in response to DEG45

Your iOS-native options are a little limited. You could switch-off iCloud Photos (Settings > [Your Account] > iCloud > Photos - then switch off all options), then delete your locally stored copies - however, any Photos synchronised from your iPad to iCloud will be deleted from iCloud after 30-days.

At present, iOS doesn’t provide the functionality that I believe you are looking for - i.e., you selectively keep some photos on your iPad, but keep all photos in iCloud.

However, what can do is let your iPad “intelligently” manage your photo storage on your iPad - by allowing iOS to keep the full-resolution image in your iCloud storage whilst keeping a low-resolution version on your iPad. You can enable or disable this feature in the ICloud settings on your iPad. This feature can save a considerable chunk of storage space on your device.

Your other option would be to use another Cloud storage provider for your photos, such as Google, Microsoft or other providers.

Google, for example, offer 15GB of free storage. Using such storage can allow you the flexibility to copy any images that you wish to keep long-term to your Google cloud storage - then delete photos from your iPad. You can manage your photos manually through the Apple Files App or use directly use an alternative and appropriate App from your chosen cloud provider.

Hope this is some help to you.

LP

iPad/iCloud storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.