Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can anyone explain exactly WHY Apple will cause 32 bit apps to stop functioning?

So apparently, sometime in the not too distant future, there will be a new OS release (like for instance Version 10.15.1) in which 32 bit apps will actually stop working. I don't know if I have seen this stated so bluntly before, but that is what I understand at this point.

I can understand that 64 bit hardware and software are superior to old hardware and ancient 32 bit apps. I can understand that all "modern" apps have 64 bit addressing as a standard plus whatever else it is that makes them "64-bit apps". And I can understand that future operating systems will want to have new features and system interfaces that are natively 64 bits. But my 32 bit apps (including my Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac) run just fine now and I don't need them to run faster. To replace them will be difficult, time-consuming, possibly impossible, and very like costly. For example, apparently there is no upgrade path for my Office products other than buying the newest version for $100 or so.

So I am baffled as to why Apple wants to put millions of users in this position. Exactly WHAT is so difficult about keeping 32 bit apps running? Is it just a small matter of the cost to support legacy 32-bit interfaces?

iMac Pro

Posted on Dec 16, 2018 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2018 3:00 PM

We are not Apple, just other users and therefore have no idea why Apple would decide to do something (or not). We are also not allowed to speculate, so we really have no way to answer your question.

As for your old MS apps: it is up to the developer to keep their apps compatible with new OS versions. Most support their apps for a period of time and then decide that they need/want you to buy newer versions because they need/want to keep making money. There is no developer anywhere who will support/update their products for free forever. That includes mfr's of printers, etc. as well - and computers, etc - an endless list.

32-bit has been on the way out (so to speak) for some time, so you'll need to make a decision when the next OS is introduced: do you want to stay with what you have now or update.

Out of curiosity: what is a sophist?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2018 3:00 PM in response to MarshLaird

We are not Apple, just other users and therefore have no idea why Apple would decide to do something (or not). We are also not allowed to speculate, so we really have no way to answer your question.

As for your old MS apps: it is up to the developer to keep their apps compatible with new OS versions. Most support their apps for a period of time and then decide that they need/want you to buy newer versions because they need/want to keep making money. There is no developer anywhere who will support/update their products for free forever. That includes mfr's of printers, etc. as well - and computers, etc - an endless list.

32-bit has been on the way out (so to speak) for some time, so you'll need to make a decision when the next OS is introduced: do you want to stay with what you have now or update.

Out of curiosity: what is a sophist?

Dec 16, 2018 4:54 PM in response to MarshLaird

But I'm still curious what makes it so difficult for Apple to retain feature that some users (like me) consider valuable.

All "features" require an immense amount of support. Even if nothing is changed that would affect the feature, the feature must be thoroughly tested with every update. That is expensive.

You can actually get Microsoft to provide security updates for Windows XP if you pay them something like $500,000 annually.

Developers were told to get their feces in one sock eight OS's ago. It's time for them to move forward. If you need to use a 32-bit app that the developer has abandoned, just don't upgrade your OS.

Can anyone explain exactly WHY Apple will cause 32 bit apps to stop functioning?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.