Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Time Machine Drive

My old Time Machine drive, 1 TB, is full. I got a new 2 TB drive, and went to transfer the old files to the new one for use as my Time Machine. After about 24 hours, it was still "preparing to transfer" files, and nothing had actually transferred. Should it really take days to transfer the files? If so, can I use my computer for other things while the transfer is ongoing?

My computer is an iMac, running Mojave. I started by dragging the "backups.backupdb" folder from the old drive icon to the new drive icon. Then I waited, and waited.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 16, 2018 10:55 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 16, 2018 3:48 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for the advice. I dowloaded and installer Super Duper. I started it, and after 2 1/2hours, it had transferred about 1% if the 1 TB old hard drive. I simply can't give up my computer for long enough for this to work. Somehow, I don't think it should be this hard. I don't mind having the computer working on this overnight or even longer. But, a couple of days seems excessive.

New Time Machine Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.