Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hdmi problem Mac Mini 2018

Hi,

i bought a new mac mini 2018.

Processor 3.2 intel i7

Memory 16go

Graphic Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MO

I am using the hdmi port connected to my receiver and then projector.

I am using one display port connected via one TV full HD using an apple adaptater.

For the hdmi port, everything works fine except that the screen goes black intermittently and comes back after 3 or 5 seconds. The monitor and cable works well with other computers. I also checked the connection and upgraded the OS to the latest one. Nothing helps.

I unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged it into USB-C using an adapter. It still has the problem.

The only difference is coming from the black screen. Using hdmi direct, it’s coming blue like there is no source on projector. Using hdmi with display port adaptater, it’s coming black screen.

All the HDMI cables that i am using are quality standard. Version 1.3 or 1.4. I tried to switch many things. No good results..

Also, it happened usually when watching a movie through the Kodi app or directly on the desktop.

Strange things, it never happened when i am on safari doing some research or watching a video.

What do you think? I thought it was coming from the hdmi port or adaptater but it looks like not.

So, it’s coming from the cable using? The receiver? The projector?

The receiver has 4 input and one output.

I never had a probleme with any other input. I used to use a macbook pro instead of this new mac mini. Never had an issue as well. The output was and is still the same. It’s the projector.

All drivers are up to date on the receiver and projector.

The receiver is Yamaha Rxv 467 and Projector Epson TW-1000. (Yamaha is using 1.4a hdmi input and Epson Projector 1.3)

As i said, all the other sources have no problem: ps4, ps3, bluray, tv box,...

Then, i did a test not using the receiver and projector. I tried using my full hd tv on hdmi direct and display port with adaptater.

i had no issues on both.

Tv is a full hd sony classic from 2011/2012.

Therefore, I thought about a compatbility problem with some hardware or some issue on Osx. I read it happened in the past with old mac mini 2012 and 2014.

Or a crazy issue not compatible with some hdmi cable between the mac and my receiver.

What do you think? I am lost.

Hdmi from this new mac mini 2018 look not stable to me.

Forgive me if i was not enough clear. I tried to do my best.

I just ordered a new hdmi cable 2.0 with good quality in order of checking if it’s coming from there but i am not sure.

Please help.

Thanks a lot.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 16, 2018 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2019 1:51 AM

Hi, guys!

I found this topic when I faced same strange behavior of HDMI on my Mac Mini. 

Like it was described in other posts, randomly HDMI—>TV doesn’t start after that Mac Mini restarts.

I noticed, this issue appeared after turning on of FileVault Encryption of System Drive. 

It seems strange, but similar bug exists on my Mac Book Pro: its keyboard backlight doesn’t work at login screen until user enters Login/Password and System Drive is decrypted. 

As I understand, macOS has troubles with start of some drivers in case if system drive was encrypted with FileVault before. 

I disabled encryption on the main Mac Mini drive and I didn’t have the mentioned troubles anymore: signal from HDMI goes to TV flawless.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2019 1:51 AM in response to Nakash0

Hi, guys!

I found this topic when I faced same strange behavior of HDMI on my Mac Mini. 

Like it was described in other posts, randomly HDMI—>TV doesn’t start after that Mac Mini restarts.

I noticed, this issue appeared after turning on of FileVault Encryption of System Drive. 

It seems strange, but similar bug exists on my Mac Book Pro: its keyboard backlight doesn’t work at login screen until user enters Login/Password and System Drive is decrypted. 

As I understand, macOS has troubles with start of some drivers in case if system drive was encrypted with FileVault before. 

I disabled encryption on the main Mac Mini drive and I didn’t have the mentioned troubles anymore: signal from HDMI goes to TV flawless.

Dec 27, 2018 2:11 PM in response to Nakash0

I'd say HDMI cable is at fault. Try getting some of the thick sturdy ones and test it out. I had a dodgy one the first time I installed my Mac mini 2018 to a 4k Dell monitor and it kept getting a black screen, cutting signal off the monitor via both HDMI and USBC adapter to HDMI.

Got a new HDMI cable and it now works like a charm.

Dec 27, 2018 2:59 PM in response to anduweb

Thanks a lot.

but i tried maybe 10 hdmi cable.

not cheap one. Maybe 30 euros each.

the problem is happening only when using two external display.

whatever hdmi cable direct, usb c to hdmi (belkin or apple brand), it doesnt change anything.

something looks wrong with the hdmi management of this mac mini 2018 with mojave.

any other ideas?

Dec 27, 2018 3:38 PM in response to Limnos

For my part, i am only using full hd 1080p external display.

one projector epson tw 1000 through yamaha receiver rvx 467

one full hd sony tv bravia

these materials worked perfectly using one display with macbook pro.

its still working great with the mac mini 2018 With only one display plugged.

the problem is always the same. two external display at the same time.

Hdmi problem Mac Mini 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.