Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2017 Won't Update iOS 12.1.2

My iPad 2017 is running iOS 12.1.1. My other iOS devices have now updated to iOS 12.1.2, including my old iPhone 6s. The iPad when I check for updates says iOS 12.1.1 is up to date. Is this true that that iPad doesn't need this update or is there a problem.

Posted on Dec 18, 2018 5:17 PM

23 replies

Dec 25, 2018 6:34 PM in response to techbbash

Was your iPhone in 12.1.2 when you took the backup?

What version does your iPad have?

You can update your iPad, restore it, and then try to restore from the backup again.

See here: Restoring from an iTunes or iCloud backup when a later version of iOS is required - Apple Support

12.1.3 for iPad is currently in Beta, there is no public release date for it yet.

Jan 1, 2019 2:08 AM in response to Phil0124

I have the same issue I am unable to install to the new iPad 11

my iPhone is currently on iOS 12.1.2 , the new iPad is 12.1.1 so I am unable to install as the software release doesn’t match and there is no 12.1.2. For the iPad

to make things worse the iPad new gen has dumped the old reliable usb version of the connection leads and moved on to the C type connection both ends so I am unable to connect to any pc to do an I tunes install

technical told me to buy a new lead to do the install that possibly work ???

so currently I have a chopping board not a iPad new generation and I am starting to regret the decision

Feb 17, 2019 8:08 AM in response to BertingAP

Well, this is exactly not true. My iPad Pro 9.7" (A1674) is at 12.1.1 and the current version for iPad is 12.1.4. The iPad is connected to my MacBook Pro via USB cable and I am running iTunes version 12.7.4.80 When I check for updates, iTunes says my version is current. Not true. Software Update on the iPad itself says 12.1.4". I prefer to use iTunes to do my backups and updates. Version 12.1.2 is no longer available as an Apple signed version so iPad would not update to that version, but iTunes ignores iOS versions 12.1.3 and 12.1.4 that are signed versions as of today. I manually updated to 12.1.3 using the Apple server available ipsw file. After install, iTunes again says version 12.1.3 is current up to date version, which is not true. Software Update on the iPad again correctly lists 12.1.4 as latest version and availble for download. So there is a disconect between what iTunes 12.7.4 says and what iPad Software Update says. This feels like an iTunes issue.

iPad 2017 Won't Update iOS 12.1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.