Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XR glass back cracked without dropping/knocking?

I’ve had my iPhone XR less than 2 months now. All was well and good until I pulled it out of my front trouser pocket (which isn’t even tight) and noticed the glass back was all cracked. Bare in mind, I always have a case on too.

The crack stems from one small point around half an inch under the camera. The cracks extend out in all directions to ends of the phone like spokes of a wheel rather than a traditional spiders web you get when dropped. The cracks cannot be felt, indicating that they are not surface level.

The only thing I can reasonably think of as the cause is by walking with it in my pocket but I’d expect that the glass on an expensive iPhone would be much tougher than that and should be able to withstand being in a pocket?

iPhone XR

Posted on Dec 19, 2018 6:07 AM

8 replies

Jan 3, 2019 2:35 PM in response to oak98

I took it out of my purse the day after Christmas to take a photo of my son. It has been in a clear case since I purchased it on 12/17/18. (You know so I can enjoy the red color.) My husband goes, “Your case is cracked!” I turn it around and it is the phone not the case! Never dropped. Stored in my purse yes. The glass is cracked so bad it can cut you upon touch. I think I would know if something impacted it that bad. I’m prepared to dispute charges with my credit card company if I have to... I’ve been loyal to Apple for years. I’m extremely disappointed. When I called support that night, they told me I can’t add AppleCare since I was calling about a cracked phone. They also stated, “I’m under the impression that Apple is not making phones as durable as they used to for the wireless charging.” Had I known this, I would’ve kept my 6s...and purchased AppleCare.

Jan 16, 2019 10:45 AM in response to oak98

Purchased a iPhone XR red end of November and was delivered 14 Dec 2018. I have used the iPhone mainly in my home and occasionally in the car. It started having touch problems which escalated to no response on occasions, now the screen occasionally will not register my touch so therefore fails to respond. The only way I am able to resolve issue is to force close the app then restart the app. Today I noticed multiple hairline cracks spreading on the back panel from the area where the mute button is.

I am so upset and annoyed that this has occurred, this phone has been cared for since taking delivery, it has never been dropped or banged against anything.

I have no doubt the quality of the product has been compromised over profit.

I decided to examine the whole phone with a linen tester (magnifier) and to my horror the front screen has a tiny crack on the inside of the screen. Therefore the screen was installed faulty or the screens are not fit for purpose.

Apple was built on foundations of leading innovation and design and most of all quality build and reliability. Sadly, these days have gone. Apple will pay dearly in the future. Loyalty doesn’t seem to strike a chord anymore at Apple.

So in a nut shell, in less than a month a £650 IPhone XR red purchased new has developed repeated and annoying touch issues and lock ups, multiple daily. The rear glass has unexplainedly cracked and the front lcd has a tiny crack originating from within the unit.

It is such a shame the quality durability does not match performance of this phone. SHAME ON YOU APPLE PUTTING PROFIT BEFORE YOUR CUSTOMERS.

Jan 16, 2019 11:10 AM in response to KiltedTim

The problem is they aren’t providing any warranties to glass cracking. The genius bar’s response to me was “it’s cosmetic. You must’ve done something wrong.” I was also told I could spend an additional $400 to replace but couldn’t add AppleCare to the new product. They won’t admit, “hey we made an expensive bad design and we’re sorry let’s make up for it.” Or wait they are by hinting on a release of 4 new iPhones because of the XR, and XS screen problems. At another expensive out of pocket cost. Sorry they already lost many loyal customers.

iPhone XR glass back cracked without dropping/knocking?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.