Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave and Mobile Accounts - Can't Change Password

What's up group!

I'll try to make this short and simple...

We join our Macs to Active Directory. When we do, a 'Mobile Account' is created.

We have a couple of users who can't update their AD passwords. If we hard wire (plug in the ethernet cable) the Mac to the domain, their login sees and accepts the updated password. But as soon as we disconnect from the domain, Mojave reverts the mobile account back to the previous password. Presenting a mess with Keychain.

As of right now we are in 10.14.2.

Anyone else seeing this? how can we fix?

Posted on Dec 19, 2018 8:18 AM

2 replies

Jan 12, 2019 7:36 PM in response to Machattan

I manage Mac workstations for a large organization, we are required to have cached mobile accounts. Near as I can tell it's a bug in Mojave.

As I understand it, the mobile account works by caching the authentication authority of the domain onto the local workstation; when the workstation can see the DC, it authenticates against it and when it's offline it uses the local cache. In theory this is updated with the password or when the user logs in with the updated password.

Near as I can determine the sync process that facilitates this does not work in Mojave what-so-ever. Furthermore, very little mention of this issue is happening from what I can see, possibly due to the antiquated nature of the AD cached accounts in favor of NoMAD / JAMFConnect.

Mention of the issue appears here : https://www.macintouch.com/community/index.php?threads/mojave-macos-10-14.1223/page-7

What does work is removing the mobile account and recaching it.

Check what systems are locally cached:

sudo dscl . -list /Users AuthenticationAuthority | grep LocalCachedUser | awk '{print $1}'

Remove the account in question (can do it when logged in as that user):

sudo dscl . -delete /Users/[username]

Recreate the mobile user (can do when logged in as user):

sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/ManagedClient.app/Contents/Resources/createmobileaccount -P -v -n [username]

This will prompt for user password as ell as Secure Token FileVault authenticated user credentials

If you do not specify a password (-p) , the account's cached password will be created during the account's first log in.

reboot

User data should be totally fine as the account folders don't get touched in this...

Obviously this workaround is a pile of garbage - soon as the password changes it is back to being out of sync and broken...

If you use a solution like JAMF - you can script it all to happen after pwd change.

Jan 21, 2019 12:49 PM in response to gdtylerc

@gdtylerc

Sorry for the late response! Thanks for your insight on this. Very interesting what you pointed out here. And in addition to all this, something else we noticed, especially with our mobile users in Mojave. If and when you create the mobile cached account, 1st time, while hard wired, if you check in System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options you'll notice the 'Allow Network Users to log in at Login Window" to be there. But as soon as you detach the network cable, restart and log back in. You'll notice it to no longer be available. Plug the cable back in, and it's there. And even though you change the AD password with the cable attached, password change still doesn't stick.

we've tried the steps you've outlined above, and they seems to work, for now. Thanks for this! Next step is to maybe scrap the whole AD cached mobile account approach and try using a local account, using a configured instance of NoMAD to change local and AD. It's worth a shot if this is where Apple is headed. Thanks again!

Mojave and Mobile Accounts - Can't Change Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.