Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen flickering on Netflix

I just got the MacBook Air 2018 and was watching Netflix on safari and slowly I realized that even though it plays the movie or tv show there are these random flickers that happen in between . Are there any fixes or is this a problem with the laptop

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Dec 19, 2018 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2019 6:02 PM

It might sound crazy but I’ve read on a reddit forum that resizing the mouse pointer to a larger size and then returning it back to normal size will fix your issue. This is a temporary fix but it’s better than having to reset the whole system again. It worked for me.

11 replies

Dec 21, 2018 1:53 PM in response to Fmz38

Hi Fmz38,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're seeing some flickering when watching videos on the Netflix website using Safari on your Mac. I can see why you'd reach out about this behavior; I'd like to help. First, I'd recommend working through the steps in the following guide starting with "Check Safari extensions:" If Safari doesn't load a page or webpage items are missing

If the behavior continues, use these steps to start your Mac in safe mode and test again: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If the issue seems to be resolved, restart your Mac normally and test again.

Should the issue persist in safe mode or after you restart your Mac, use these steps to test in a new user: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Do you notice if this affects other websites you stream video from?

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

Jan 20, 2019 7:23 AM in response to cevelada

Have you tired disabling "Adjust Display Brightness" or chaining the color profile for the display? Both of these are found in display settings.

http://osxdaily.com/2019/01/16/screen-flicker-macbook-air-2018-workaround-fix/

I can't duplicate the problem using Safari+Netflix. I only experience the flicker at a coffee shop, and only sitting in a certain place. I'm pretty sure this has to do with the light sensor that controls the display brightness.

Another possible solution is to try an SMC reset, which was recommended somewhere. It makes some sense because the SMC controls screen brightness settings.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Jan 18, 2019 1:54 PM in response to i_rina

I experienced this flicker for the first time today. I've been using this 2018 MBA since November. Today when I opened up at my usual coffee shop, I started noticing the flicker occasionally. The whole display seems to "blink" flashing lighter then back. Adjusting brightness with the f-keys seemed to aggravate it. A brief google found other reports of this on 2018 MBA and maybe the MacBook Pros too. Seems you can avoid this by turning off Adjust Display Brightness and possibly by changing color profile (via macrumors and OSXdaily).

Definitely seems to be a fault here. Sounds like a hardware problem. This defect led to 30 min wasted when I should have been working.

Screen flickering on Netflix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.