Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The new Macbook Air 2018 keyboard is unusable

Within two days of buying my Macbook Air 2018, the keyboard was defective. My E, R, T, keys would either sputter, with double or triplet repeats, or it would not type at all— e.g. typing the mere word "the" would take 3 or 4 tries, and would result in "ttthe".

I brought my Macbook in for service but to my horror, none of the Macbook Stores had any replacement keys. Genius bar told me there might be "dust" in my keys, and to be careful while using my Mac (which I may add, what do you mean by "careful", am I not to eat a feet away from it or bring it any place that potentially has dust?) They also told me that supposedly the 2018 Macbook Air had fixed the notorious problem of sticky keys, and they had received no complaints.

A week later, I returned my Macbook air to replace it with a new one, sincerely hoping this was just a one-off.

Now, three days later with my 2nd Macbook air 2018, my t key barely behaves. I've loved and been an avid Macbook user for years, but this whole trial and tribulations with a brand new computer is beyond ridiculous. I just need a typeable computer, is that too much to ask?

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Dec 20, 2018 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2018 3:54 PM

It's because of the poorly designed butterfly switches inside the keyboard. A speck of dust can stop the keyswitch from functioning, a speck of dust! I suggest buying a MacBook Pro/Air that is from 2015 or earlier, they have the traditional scissor lift keyswitch that everyone knows and loves.

3 replies

Feb 7, 2019 4:00 AM in response to okapiee

Good Morning. Hoping this might help someone. I bought a new MacBook Air. I started having problems with the c key. It wouldn't press down. The travel was gone but it would still function. I took a small hand vac, turned off the machine and vacuumed the keyboard gently. I did it about 3 times. Turned my machine on and the c key works perfectly. I typed this with my new machine. Any little crumb will make the keys stop working. Crappy but not sure what else to do. Thanks

The new Macbook Air 2018 keyboard is unusable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.