Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting dolby 5.1 surround with FCPx and Compressor

I have spent 2 days researching and experimenting with ways to get a surround sound project from Final Cut ProX to a mov, m4v or mp4 video file and have AppleTV 4K sense that and play it correctly through my Denon receiver and home theatre system. All the instructions on the Internet have proved unsuccessful - although I haven't tried Handbrake yet.

The only way I have been able to get the dolby surround sound to work as programmed in FCX is by burning a Blu-ray disc. Then it works as expected.

I have even tried exporting an AC3 audio file and then I have tried using Subler to import that audio file with 6 channels and export to both mp4 and m4v without success. The files export fine but on the Apple TV it reverts to Matrix mode, so the surround sound is not playing expected. I have tried almost all possible permutations and combinations of doing this.

I have a couple of a Dolby Atmos mp4 files that I downloaded off the Internet and those work through Apple TV and the Denon receiver so I assume that the problem is in how my own videos are getting encoded.

In Compressor if you select Compressing for Apple Devices, it has an option "Include Dolby 5.1 Audio Track: Select the checkbox to add surround sound as a Dolby Digital audio track for playback on Apple TV".

I checked that option and nothing happens. Does anyone know how this is suppose to work?

Surely Compressor can do this without relying on some other app like Handbrake or Subler since it can do it properly for a blu-ray disc. I don't get it, why is this so difficult to do? All I read on the Internet is frustration and highly technical workarounds by many video creators over the past 10 years on this matter.

Posted on Dec 20, 2018 9:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2018 11:59 AM

Okay, here is at least part of the problem. Apple TV (4K) has a bug such that when Dolby Atmos is the default audio settings, Dolby 5.1 doesn't work and plays in stereo. If Apple TV is set to Dolby 5.1 then a Dolby 51 video works from iTunes. I was hitting my head against a brick wall till I discovered this problem.

Note in Compressor, I still have to create an m4v video file and then use Subler to import in the ec3 or ac3 dolby surround sound file. Why can't Compressor combine these as one of the default settings? Why can't Compressor encode an ec3 audio file inside a m4v or mpg4 file?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2018 11:59 AM in response to MBSteed

Okay, here is at least part of the problem. Apple TV (4K) has a bug such that when Dolby Atmos is the default audio settings, Dolby 5.1 doesn't work and plays in stereo. If Apple TV is set to Dolby 5.1 then a Dolby 51 video works from iTunes. I was hitting my head against a brick wall till I discovered this problem.

Note in Compressor, I still have to create an m4v video file and then use Subler to import in the ec3 or ac3 dolby surround sound file. Why can't Compressor combine these as one of the default settings? Why can't Compressor encode an ec3 audio file inside a m4v or mpg4 file?

Getting dolby 5.1 surround with FCPx and Compressor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.