Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4k turns on by itself

Very frustrating but I've been having issues with my Apple TV 4K turning on by itself. I'm using HDMI-CEC, and therefore it also turns my tv and soundbar on with it. Many times this happens within 30 seconds of putting the ATV to sleep...everything just turns back on with no input from me. I've asked about this on reddit and others are having the same issues, which leads me to believe it is a problem with the ATV and not my TV.

Does anyone else have this problem, or know how to fix it?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Dec 21, 2018 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2019 10:31 AM

Had same problem with an LG TV, LG sound bar and AppleTV 4K. Even replaced AppleTV (under warranty). Still didn’t work. Had repair tech come out for TV. He had to call LG support. Got a knowledgeable tech on the phone. Here’s what solved the problem for us.

Went into TV settings - general - “Quick Start” and turned it off. Then went into settings-general - “Mobile TV On” and turned off WiFi and Bluetooth. Turns out, our son put an AppleTV Temote app on our iPhones so we could use them as remote controls to the TV. In the process he turned on these settings and caused our TV, sound bar and AppleTV to randomly come back on or not turn off. Turning off these settings on our TV solved our problem. Can’t use the iPhone as a remote, but that’s better than our TV coming back on in the middle of the night.

Hipe this

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2019 10:31 AM in response to Seany O

Had same problem with an LG TV, LG sound bar and AppleTV 4K. Even replaced AppleTV (under warranty). Still didn’t work. Had repair tech come out for TV. He had to call LG support. Got a knowledgeable tech on the phone. Here’s what solved the problem for us.

Went into TV settings - general - “Quick Start” and turned it off. Then went into settings-general - “Mobile TV On” and turned off WiFi and Bluetooth. Turns out, our son put an AppleTV Temote app on our iPhones so we could use them as remote controls to the TV. In the process he turned on these settings and caused our TV, sound bar and AppleTV to randomly come back on or not turn off. Turning off these settings on our TV solved our problem. Can’t use the iPhone as a remote, but that’s better than our TV coming back on in the middle of the night.

Hipe this

Feb 17, 2019 9:08 AM in response to ColinB257

My LG TV tech told me to do these 2 steps to stop my TV and connected devices from restarting:

in my TV settings in “General”, turn off “Quick Start”. Then also in “General” go to “Mobile TV On” and turn offf “Turn Om Via WiFi” and “Turn On Via Bluetooth”. Solved the problem. My son recently downloaded the AppleTV remote control app for my iPhone and enabled these settings.

hope this helps.

Apr 5, 2019 9:55 AM in response to Dtoledo1956

I may have figured it out.

I have an LG TV like the rest of you. Everything is CEC connected, just like everyone else.

I turned off Quick Start. Turn-on-via-WiFi was never on.

My Apple TV is the 4K model.

After watching TV and going to bed, the TV would randomly turn on... and without getting too much into it, I could tell the Apple TV was triggering it via the CEC configuration. I also noticed that when the Apple TV turned on, the remote had to (re)connect... meaning something else was triggering the Apple TV.

While mucking about, I used my other IR remote (Apple TV HD) to operate the Apple TV 4K.

Anyway, I was done watching tv and heading for bed. I turned off the system (hold menu, sleep), and turned off the light.

As the darkness set in, I heard my (somewhat new) Wyze security cam switch its night vision on... and a few seconds later... voila... system back on!

Seems to me, the infrared night vision light was bouncing off a wall and triggers the Apple TV to turn on... and since it wasn’t the Apple remote turning it on, that’s why it would need to (re)connect when I would have to turn the system off again.

Thing is, even after you turn the system back off, it may turn on again, if the infrared light bounces back to the Apple TV... kind of like when you use a mirror to reflect sunlight into someone’s eye.

Now, I haven’t tried it, but a good way to test it, is to put the Apple TV in a shoebox and see if the random turn-on still occurred. Since the new remote is Bluetooth, everything would still be operable.

Anyway, everyone probably has some IR device that is causing the Apple TV 4K to turn back on. So a solution would be to put in inside your AV cabinet, or maybe some black tape in front of the IR sensor of the Apple TV.

Feb 17, 2019 11:13 AM in response to Seany O

Had the same problem. My son recently added the AppleTV remote control app to our iPhones and enabled the following settings on our TV. Our TV tech said to disable the settings and should solve the problem. It did!

heres what we did:

in TV settings under GENERAL, disable QUICK START. Then, also in GENERAL under MOBILE TV ON, disable TURN ON VIA WiFi and TURN ON VIA BLUETOOTH. Can no longer use our iPhone as an AppleTV remote control, but certainly better than TV and connected devices turning back on.

By disabling these 3 settings on our TV, it worked. Problem started right after he added the app to our phones, so makes sense. Hope this helps.

Feb 22, 2019 4:43 PM in response to EnspiredTech

I have that setting set to off in one room or it randomly turns off my tv when I’m watching cable... really annoying,

In the other room it’s set to on but every time I turn on my tv it turns on Apple TV, but only because I’d not put Apple TV to sleep and switched back over to cable mode after I was done watching. Not really the same issues with the OP though.

Feb 22, 2019 4:55 PM in response to ColinB257

Possible solution for those having trouble with TV and connected devices turning back on.

Could be be a few incorrect settings on your TV (not AppleTV streaming device).

These setting changes on our TV solved our problem:

in TV settings look for something like GENERAL/QUICK START. Turn off. Then look for something like GENERAL/MOBILE TV ON. Turn off sub categories TURN ON VIA BLUETOOTH and TURN ON VIA WiFi.

disabling these TV settings did the trick.

Hope this helps some of you with this very frustrating problem. I even exchanged my ApleTV streaming device thinking it was the culprit. Turns out it was our TV settings.

Apr 9, 2019 11:12 PM in response to er1c15

I have a Samsung 2016 TV and the new Apple TV4k. Tv is connected to soundbar (Samsung HW-N950) using HDMI Arc. CEC is On. I have my apple tv and PC connected to soundbar.

The apple TV turns soundbar and TV on randomly. It also turns on everytime I put it to sleep. 5-10 seconds after the Apple TV wakes up and also starts the soundbar. Very frustrating.

I have tried to delete Universal remote on the TV. I have disabled Airplay, app background refresh and automatic app updates on the Apple TV. I have restarted the Apple Tv, unplugged power etc, no luck. I have no other remote now than the apple tv remote.

Its connected to ethernet. This is becoming really frustrating. Tv wakes up randomly. Not good for the electricity bill either to have it behave like this. Anyone that has a solution??

Fw updated of course on TV, Soundbar and Apple TV

May 18, 2019 11:40 AM in response to vazandrew

Having same problem on newer Samsung TVs. Will try TV settings. However, as regards this particular post I am reminded of an old "how Microsoft engineers fix a stalled car" joke. Everyone get out of the car, switch places, fasten your seatbelts, unfasten your seatbelts, roll up the windows if down, get back out of the car and resume your normal positions. Car should now be working. Check the network indeed... My 4Ks (7 of them) are NOT WiFi, they are all Ethernet and every single one on a post-2016 Samsung exhibits this behavior. Spurious WiFi signals are not going to be paired to the ATV and therefore could not cause the problems indicated. Going to try the CEC route first. Then I am going to go out into the garage, pull my car out, back it in the other way around, get out of the car, go turn on the TV, go back into the garage and put the car back the way it was. ATV should then be working right...

May 26, 2019 7:35 AM in response to Seany O

Well i don’t know if any of you are in the same boat but i try a bunch of these suggestions and they don’t work. But then i always realize i have my appletv remote stored away (I use a harmony remote). So whenever this happens to me, it’s because I recently moved my storage container and the remote is leaning against something.

Apple TV 4k turns on by itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.