Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to uninstall itunes - network resource that is unavailable

I can't run iTunes. I can't update iTunes. I can't uninstall iTunes.

When I try to uninstall, I get a 'Windows Installer' window that says 'the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.' The installer/uninstaller is looking for iTunes64.msi.

I am prompted to select from 'Use source:' locations. Selecting either of the 2 options presented results in a secondary alert, "The file 'C:\...\iTunes64.msi' is not a valid installation package for the product iTunes. Try to find the installation package 'iTunes64.msi' in a folder from which you can install iTunes.'

When I search my C drive for that folder and then go through to the prompt but browse to select those locations, I get the same result.

I have tried to download the iTunes install file from Apple.com, but that tells me I need to uninstall iTunes leading me back into the above.

Please help - music collection held hostage.

Posted on Dec 22, 2018 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2018 2:46 AM

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates. Start with Missing MSI errors.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version as a workaround for installation or performance issues.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2018 2:46 AM in response to Benne77e

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates. Start with Missing MSI errors.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version as a workaround for installation or performance issues.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Jan 2, 2019 7:46 AM in response to jeremy_v

Gave this article a try, actually a second try. I had seen this article before and attempted to execute on the steps but keep getting hung up on the deletion of folders from %programfiles%. I am able to delete iTunes folder. I cannot delete Bonjour or iPod. When I attempt deletion of Bonjour, I get the following error: The action can't be completed because the folder or a file is open in another program. I have followed the additional guidance of shutting down the process, even making sure the service no longer start automatically. I did this for both Bonjour and iPod. Restart and attempt deletion and get the same error.

As it turns out the guidance from Turingtest2 hit the spot. So, I'm all set.

Dec 23, 2018 3:56 PM in response to Benne77e

Hello Benne77e,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you cannot update, open, or uninstall iTunes on your Windows PC. I would be happy to provide troubleshooting steps to help get you enjoying your music again.

The following support article provides some troubleshooting steps to try for this behavior:

If you can't install or update iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

You'll want to be sure to follow the steps in the order listed. Keep us posted on the results.

Cheers!

Unable to uninstall itunes - network resource that is unavailable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.