Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari keeps opening with a new tab show 'icon.png 64x64 pixels'. MacBook Air

Safari keeps opening, by its self, with a new tab show 'icon.png 64x64 pixels' and it continues to do so leaving me to quit it multiple times before it stops. Its been affecting me for a month now and i cant get it to stop. I've already tried going into preferences and extensions but there arn't any extensions added. I don't use safari anymore because of this and i now use google chrome. Is there any possible way to block the site from opening again or deleting safari. This irritates me.

This is the link that pops up: https://safari-extensions.apple.com/extensions/io.github.boazh3-6M8TBX46SU/icon.png

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Dec 22, 2018 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2018 4:29 AM

It seems the SearchIt Safari extension has been installed in the past, and possibly that created a preference settings that is still used.

See if you can find ‘SearchIt’ in the Extensions tab of the Safari Preferences. If so, you should be able to uncheck it, and thereby disable it. Or use the Uninstall button in that window pane, when selected.

Also see the General tab of the Safari Preferences to examine what is specified for New tabs. If you set New tabs to Empty page, then it shouldn’t load any icon.

Let us know how it goes.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2018 4:29 AM in response to angelicsjin

It seems the SearchIt Safari extension has been installed in the past, and possibly that created a preference settings that is still used.

See if you can find ‘SearchIt’ in the Extensions tab of the Safari Preferences. If so, you should be able to uncheck it, and thereby disable it. Or use the Uninstall button in that window pane, when selected.

Also see the General tab of the Safari Preferences to examine what is specified for New tabs. If you set New tabs to Empty page, then it shouldn’t load any icon.

Let us know how it goes.

Safari keeps opening with a new tab show 'icon.png 64x64 pixels'. MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.