Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X GPS Stopped Working Again!

Yesterday 12/22/18, the iOS 12.1.2 became available on my iPhone X. As expected, my GPS failed about 15 minutes after the update notification showed on my phone. iPhone Maps, Google Maps, Waze, were totally useless as the phone could not determine where I was in the world. As usual, I was travelling in an unfamiliar area when this happened. Luckily after closing & reopening each app numerous time, the GPS starting working again. Unfortunately, I was not in an area with WiFi nor did I have time to get to a WiFi signal to upload the new iOS 12.1.2. Apple support was not helpful in the past, so today, I am going to install iOS 12.1.2 and keep my fingers crossed that this will fix the problem. But of course, I was told it should fix the problem the last time.

My previous posts showed:

Why is Apple hating GPS?? iOS 11.4.1 fixed the GPS issue on my iPhone X for short time but now my iPhone X cannot figure out where I am. I have Apple Maps, Waze, & Google Maps installed. All 3 seem to feel I am in the general area but have no real idea where I actually am. Forget about walking or driving anywhere with guidance from your iPhone X as you may as well be stationed on the moon. 

Has anyone else found it quite interesting that iPhone X drops GPS right before iPhone puts out a new iOS? Today is Labor Day, 9/3/18 - could Apple be laboring hard at fixing their GPS software issue? It has to be a software issue as each iOS update fixes the GPS issue until Apple is ready to launch a new iOS update. 

I purchased my iPhone X in March 2018 and this is the 3rd time GPS has failed. iOS 12 cannot come out soon enough. Let's hope iOS 12 solves the GPS problem permanently! 

iPhone X

Posted on Dec 23, 2018 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Similar questions

2 replies

Dec 23, 2018 5:15 PM in response to Philly_Phan

I have restored to new before too. I have spoken with Apple Support too. No one believes me when I say the GPS will stop working each time that Apple announces/releases a new iOS for iPhones. Once I update to the newest iOS the GPS works again. It is very frustrating to have this happen when you are travelling and do not have access to WiFi or the time for the update to take place.

iPhone X GPS Stopped Working Again!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.