Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 refuses to connect to Airplay 2 device

My iPhone 8 intermittently refuses to connect to my Sonos speaker via Airplay 2.

Once connected, it works flawlessly.

The problem is that it sometimes refuses to connect.

To be exact, the device appears as available and very briefly appears to connect, but no sound is produced, then after 2 or 3 seconds, something flashes across the screen (too quickly to read), then it disconnects and disappears from the device list.

It then reappears as an available Airplay device and the same occurs each time you re-try!

If I force-reboot the iPhone, it solves the issue, but I’m looking to get to the root-cause and try to prevent it continually re-occurring.

Note the following has NO EFFECT:

1) Rebooting the speaker.

2) Updating the speaker.

3) Switching Wi-Fi off/on.

4) Applying latest iPhone update.

5) Rebooting Wi-fi access point.

6) Force-quitting “Music” app.

When the issue occurs, I am still able to connect to the device using the Sonos app, so the problem is definitely a bug with AirPlay 2.

Have other people encountered similar issues and if so, is anyone aware of any proper fix for this (rather than having to force-boot the iPhone all the time)!

iPhone 8

Posted on Dec 24, 2018 11:41 AM

1 reply

Dec 25, 2018 1:22 PM in response to Graeme Glasgow

Greetings, Graeme.

I see that your iPhone 8 intermittently won't connect with your Songs speakers using AirPlay 2. I'm happy to help.

If you can't use AirPlay or mirror your device's screen -- This article provides the information and steps that you need. Feel free to skip any steps you've already tried.

If you still can’t use AirPlay after trying these steps, contact Apple Support.

Take care!

iPhone 8 refuses to connect to Airplay 2 device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.