Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hard drive upgrade

can I use a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2.5" SATA III 250GB model MZ-75E250B/AM hard drive in my MacBook Pro 13-inch mid 2012?

Posted on Dec 24, 2018 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2018 3:05 AM

Hi,

Yes. That's exactly what I have in myMacBook Pro 13-inch mid 2012 (non-Retina). It has been running without any trouble for more than 2 years. Before that I had a Samsung 840 EVO.

Best to put it in the hard drive bay. You could also replace the SATA cable that connects the drive to the logic board as the MacBook Pro unibody is know to develop problems through wear and tear on this cable.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2018 3:05 AM in response to dlmalone

Hi,

Yes. That's exactly what I have in myMacBook Pro 13-inch mid 2012 (non-Retina). It has been running without any trouble for more than 2 years. Before that I had a Samsung 840 EVO.

Best to put it in the hard drive bay. You could also replace the SATA cable that connects the drive to the logic board as the MacBook Pro unibody is know to develop problems through wear and tear on this cable.

Dec 25, 2018 3:04 PM in response to dlmalone

You're welcome!

If you are going to do it yourself, you need a replacement cable. The best place to buy is probably OWC. Here: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/8211480/

There is an install video which you can also use for replacing the hard drive.

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_13_unibody_mid12_hard_drive_cable/ Just be careful when disconnecting the sensor cable, the connector is very small.

Some people replace the optical drive with the old hard drive or an SSD to increase storage space. You need an enclosure to do this. You can find guides for this at OWC and iFixit, and elsewhere. I preferred to keep the optical drive.

Regards and good luck!

hard drive upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.