Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple software update will not let me update to latest drivers

Apple Software update will not give me the option to download the latest drivers on bootcamp. Apple software update claims that they have already been installed under the edit-->Installed updates tab. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it hoping that it would clear all of the apps data but ultimately failed. I have also tried digging for the cache and deleting all suspicious files however that has failed as well. I know that it has not installed the new drivers as my graphics driver is still the catalyst driver.

I have also checked the dowloaded updates folder (can be accessed under tools) which is empty.

I have a Mabook Pro 11,5 (2015 15" with 2.5ghz i7 and R9 M370X dgpu

MacBook Pro Retina (2015 and later)

Posted on Dec 25, 2018 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2019 7:32 PM

I have since solved the issue the painful way of symply deleting and reinstalling bootcamp. The drivers updated just fine though Apple software update... Not sure why yours won’t do it through, what graphics card do you have? Oops didn’t mean to solve this on my phone not sure how to unsolve...

9 replies

Jan 9, 2019 7:26 PM in response to Alex_12-984

Yesterday, I restored my Boot Camp partition from a backup I made a year ago before updating from version 6.0 of the Graphics Driver Update for Boot Camp (AMD Driver Packaging version 15.301) to version 6.3 (AMD Driver Packaging Version 17.10) through Apple Software Update.

Like you, when I ran Apple Software Update yesterday after restoring, I was not offered the Graphics Driver Update for Boot Camp 6.3 that I had installed a year ago (although I was offered other current updates, like iCloud for Windows 7.9.0 and Wi-Fi Update for Boot Camp 6.4.0).

Note that in my case, however, the Installed Updates history showed only Graphics Driver Update for Boot Camp 6.0, not 6.3.

It appears that Apple have stopped distributing AMD graphics driver updates for Boot Camp through Apple Software Update, and are now referring users to AMD's web site. See the following Apple Support Article, dated 21 December 2018:

Update AMD graphics drivers for Windows in Boot Camp - Apple Support

Dec 25, 2018 4:07 PM in response to Alex_12-984

• Create a Windows System Restore point.
  • In Windows Device Manager, right-click on each device you want the new drivers for, uninstall the device, remove drivers, remove drivers from DrvStore.
  • Try to run Apple Software Update and check if you get new drivers.

Be aware that Windows 10 has forced updates, so, unless you disable updates for these specific PID/VIDs using gpedit.msc, Windows will install what it thinks is the latest driver.

Dec 27, 2018 5:34 PM in response to Loner T

I have just tried that and did not work, Apple software update still believes that I have installed the amd drives even when none are installed. All are still present in the downloaded updates tab. You didn’t specify so I used ddu to uninstall the drives but I don’t think that made a difference... Do you think Apple sowftwear update stores data for what has been updated rather than checking with the system?

Jan 9, 2019 8:58 PM in response to Alex_12-984

I have the AMD Radeon R9 M395X in an iMac 17,1 (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015).

I was able to install the same software that Graphics Driver Update for Boot Camp 6.3 had installed by installing the version 17.10 driver from the AMD Boot Camp Graphics Drivers web page.

I find it very curious that Graphics Driver Update 6.3 appeared for you after reinstalling Boot Camp, when it wouldn't appear for me after restoring a WIM clone of my Boot Camp partition made before updating to 6.3. I've also never seen an Apple Support Article directing users to download AMD graphics driver updates from AMD's web site before now.

I wonder what's going on.

Jan 10, 2019 1:17 AM in response to Colonel Blimp

I suspect that Apple software update keeps a file that contains the already installed updates rather than checking what versions are installed on the system. The reason regular AMD drivers don’t work for macs is because Apple has modified the graphics card so it cannot be recognized by the regular AMD drivers or even windows by default. If you want the latest drivers from AMD rather than apples crappy outdated drivers you can use a web site called bootcampdrivers.com. This site provides modified versions of the latest AMD drivers. I will warn you to prossed at your own risk, that being said anybody capable of following instructions should be able to acheive this. I can personally say they work great, I have been running it on my 2017 iMac 5k and had no issues. I am extremely glad I changed to the modified drivers I was getting a miserable and unplayable 12 FPS in DeusXmankind divided on apples latest drivers and on the modified AMD drivers I have been able to run DeusX at a solid 60fps. It is not like that in all apps/games though but I have experienced a 20-25% across the board and had the occasional huge jump like in deusX. As I already said proseed at your own risk but I highly recommend it.

Apple software update will not let me update to latest drivers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.