Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovering the very most recently-deleted Pictures on my iPhone

Why is it that when I delete photos/videos and then immediately check my "Recently Deleted" Album, that I can't find the most recently deleted photos or videos? Thanks!

Posted on Dec 26, 2018 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2018 3:54 PM

When you download the photos to your Mac, presumably you use the Mac’s Photos app. That app offers you the choice to delete the original photos from the iPhone’s Camera Roll after downloading. If you have chosen this option (which I believe is the default), then the photos are no longer housed on the iPhone after syncing to the Mac. And they would not be able to be deleted from the iPhone, only from the Mac.

To appear in Recently Deleted, the photos had to start in Camera Roll and not be interfered with by some sync process.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2018 3:54 PM in response to folger1

When you download the photos to your Mac, presumably you use the Mac’s Photos app. That app offers you the choice to delete the original photos from the iPhone’s Camera Roll after downloading. If you have chosen this option (which I believe is the default), then the photos are no longer housed on the iPhone after syncing to the Mac. And they would not be able to be deleted from the iPhone, only from the Mac.

To appear in Recently Deleted, the photos had to start in Camera Roll and not be interfered with by some sync process.

Dec 26, 2018 3:41 PM in response to sberman

sberman, Thanks so much for trying to help. The above didn't get at it either. As background, I manually download my pictures from my iPhone to my Mac. I select the option of delete once it's downloaded on my Photos app. Then, if I decide I want to recover a photo or video from my phone, I look for it in the "Recently Deleted" album on my phone...and they aren't all there. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Again. Thanks!

Recovering the very most recently-deleted Pictures on my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.